Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed several members on DF talking about DFC so I thought I'd come check it out and introduce myself. I'm a student and I have an almost 2 (already?) puppy mill rescued Beagle. Her name is Hallie, hence my user name. And I love love love my little girl! She's awesome in obedience and before she got hit by 2 cars back in September agility was looking up for her. She's just a joy to be around, she's my heartdog. Unfortunately she's plagued with allergies, food and seasonal. Due to her extreme allergies I've tried homecooked, Raw, and all premium brands of dog food and have found a few that worked with her. I suppose pictures would be good? I already recognize a few members from another forum but here's my Hallie girl-

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Hello and welcome, what a gorgeous beagle!
Pretty girl. :D

Reactions: Hallie

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Welcome to the forums! What a sweet face :biggrin:

What kind of raw diet were you feeding at the time that you tried raw? I mean was it BARF style with veggies or was it strictly animal parts like prey model raw?

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Welcome to the forum! My first dog was a Beagle, yours is super cute! I hope you stick around!

·
Banned
493 Posts
Welcome! I love the photo of your dogs eyes. She looks so cute:smile:

Reactions: Hallie

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! :biggrin:

danemama08: It was strictly animal parts. Hallie isn't the veggie type and seems to have problems with most common ones anyways. I didn't keep her on it long enough to see any big improvement because the detox (i think that's what it's called) was pretty bad for her and she seemed to ALWAYS be hungry on raw and a hungry beagle it's just pitiful! :redface:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Thanks guys! :biggrin:

danemama08: It was strictly animal parts. Hallie isn't the veggie type and seems to have problems with most common ones anyways. I didn't keep her on it long enough to see any big improvement because the detox (i think that's what it's called) was pretty bad for her and she seemed to ALWAYS be hungry on raw and a hungry beagle it's just pitiful! :redface:
A serious allergy dog does typically fantastic on raw, there is probably nothing better for her out there. There is definitely a right way and a wrong way to start a dog on raw...not saying that you did it wrong or anything at all because I know all too well that the "detox" phase can be rough, even if done right!

What were you feeding her in the beginning?

How long did you stick it out for?

Its not surprising to hear that she was always hungry on raw....because our dogs are always hungry on raw! Why? Cuz they absolutely LOVE their food and want as much as they can get of it! I just want to help as much as I can :wink:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I probably did do it wrong! I know a ton about kibble but zip about raw. I started her off on chicken legs,thighs, and quarters (and organs of course). We stuck it out for 2 weeks at least, the hungry thing was horrible I mean she was always hungry and it was mindboggling how much meat she could consume and still want more.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
It sounds like you started fine with chicken parts only for the first two weeks but went wrong with the organs. Organs shouldn't be added in until the second month of raw. They are the last things that are added in and they are added in very, very gradually. Here is a link that will help you get started on raw again if that is the route you wish to go again.

http://preymodelraw.com/2010/02/05/how-to-get-started-feeding-a-prey-model-raw-diet/

She probably had a harder time adjusting because of the organs since they are super rich and hard for some dogs to handle at first.

How much were you feeding her? You may have not been feeding her enough if she
was always hungry...

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! That is such a sweet looking beagle! I have a male beagle he will turn 11 in June! He's getting a bit older now seems to be having a few difficulties at the present time! His one leg he must have jumped off the couch funny and hurt it a bit! But he's usually very spry and very enthusiastic with walks and such! He's our bit ornery gentleman here ha ha! But still a wonderful edition to our gang! :biggrin:Welcome again!:smile:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks wags! Glad to see another beagle owner, they're awesome little dogs. I can't even imagine my little girl at 11, I don't think she'll ever slow down!

danemama- I was feeding about 11 ounces a day of various chicken parts she was about 25lbs although she's 28 now. She also had venison but it was just as a treat and she'd had it before. I feel so bad for giving her organs so early! I give her raw eggs and a chicken liver every now and again when she's on kibble so I didn't think it would hurt her. Her stools were firm but she started shedding and itching alot so I went into mommy mode and took her off of it. It also scares me that I might not do the right thing with raw or balance it out right, you know what I mean? I'm definitely going to try again later.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts