Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been on here for about 1 month now and am amazed at the knowledge everyone shares.

I purchased Elli, my first dog since I was a kid, when she was 8 weeks old. At that time her breeder was feeding her Nutro Max. Me being uneducated thought that since the breeder was feeding it, it must be good. When she was about 9 months old I began researching adult foods and boy was I in for a SHOCK! Not only did I realize the food I was feeding her was CRAP but that most dry food consumers can buy is CRAP.

She has been on Orijen since she was about a year old and only gets grain-free threats. I have now made it my mission to educate friends about the quality of dry dog foods and have converted many to much higher quality foods than the brands they were feeding.

I cannot change everyone but I can change a few!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I purchased Elli, my first dog since I was a kid, when she was 8 weeks old. At that time her breeder was feeding her Nutro Max. Me being uneducated thought that since the breeder was feeding it, it must be good. When she was about 9 months old I began researching adult foods and boy was I in for a SHOCK! Not only did I realize the food I was feeding her was CRAP but that most dry food consumers can buy is CRAP.
Yep. Been there, done that. Yes, I used to feed Nutro Max also, but I "got better." I actually transitioned into Kirkland and then to Orijen (with some raw). My primary driver for becoming better educated was our dog's skin problems and allergies. It seems that as more time goes by, the absence of corn and wheat from the diet are making a difference even though there's still some itching. She doesn't seem to be gnawing at herself constantly any more.

I, like many, assumed that you always get what you pay for. That's largely true on the the *very* high end of the market (which is usually not carried by the big box stores) but not as true for the stuff on the shelves of the big-box chain pet stores. There you are paying for marketing folks successfully hoodwinking people into thinking their stuff is about the best you can buy for dogs. After all, it's the most expensive stuff in a store with a wide selection (of crap)....

Our dog is probably going on 7 years old now, and hopefully I stopped feeding the crap to her early enough to prevent any serious problems developing from it down the road.

L

·
0 Posts
..... I cannot change everyone but I can change a few!
That's a good attitude to have. Welcome to the Forum. Your Mini Schnauzer is cute! My best friend has a Mini Schnauzer that's 11 years old now and is doing great.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! Have fun here!:smile:

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I think we've all been in your shoes: realizing that the commercial foods are not created equal, and seeking better choices!

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
i don't know that i learned in time for my malia, who is ten years old....

i've watched the evolution of dog food throughout my own dog experiences....and we've gone from purina puppy chow, et al...to purina one, considered to be a premium dog food at the time...to nutro/natural choice products, which fourteen years ago was considered a premium food....to now....

i've watched the changes and i'm not sure they are for the betterment of the dog...but they surely are better than what used to be sold, especially when corn/soy/wheat were taken out.....

welcome to the forum....i'm glad you're researching what you feed.....it's good for them and good for us.....

dogs are so important to us...there food can be no less so.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts