Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
Glad to join this forum, I've been looking online or some answers on my dogs condition. I have a 3 yr old yorkie that has pretty much always been sick, since the age of 9 months he has random bouts of vomiting and/or diahrrea and sometimes he gets a high fever, and he usually gets lethargic also. We have done everything medically possible to figure out what is going on with him, blood test, stool test,liver biopsy,biopsies from stomach and intestinal walls, and we are still very puzzled!
The only thing that works is when he gets Metronidazole (flagyl) it is a antibotic. We now seem to think it might be Inflamatory Bowel Disease or Irritable Bowel (IBD) So we switched him to homemade food, and he was doing great for a while, until 2 weeks ago! We ended up in the ER, cause he was getting very dehydrated. Anyways I was wondering if anyone has had experiences like this?
It seems that all forms of kibble do this, I had him on the Abady's canned premium beef and chicken formulas, and was fine and then got kibble abadys and again. But all other brands of food he doesn't like and they seem to be causing the problem. I cook for him , but not always have the time and worry of it is nutrionally balanced. Any advice?

·
Registered
628 Posts
My puppy has pretty bad colitis. What has worked for us is Chicken and Rice Canidae dog food (kibble), ProZyme digestive enzyme, and a probiotic capsule with each meal. He went from diarrhea like a fountain coming out of his rear with blood in it and going 5-6 times a day, to solid firm normal stools and only going 2 times a day. Also making sure I don't feed him too much at 1 meal. If he's hungrier that day (he's a puppy still) I add an extra feeding into the day so feed him 3 times instead of 2 that particular day rather than adding food to his existing meals.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!
My vet also adviced me to start him on a probiotic, so I ordered one online, which is a probiotic and digestive enzyme combo. Hope it really helps, he does not have diahrrea all the time, just very randomly, but when he does get it, it's bad! I'll keep everyone posted!
Thanks again!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Thanks!
My vet also adviced me to start him on a probiotic, so I ordered one online, which is a probiotic and digestive enzyme combo. Hope it really helps, he does not have diahrrea all the time, just very randomly, but when he does get it, it's bad! I'll keep everyone posted!
Thanks again!
I use www.puritansale.com for my probiotic. I get like 250 capsules for, oh I don't know like $3. You may want to check them out if it works. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts