Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name is Jackie and I have an American Eskimo named Quinn who is 7 years old, and also two cats. Animals are...well to put it simply my entire life. I am turning 21 soon and have worked with them since my 16th birthday.

This is one of the reasons I am here, basically to share my story. About 5 months or so ago I was at work, a pet resort where a few employees were talking about IAMS. They were saying how it is complete crap....well this had been what my dog was on his entire life. I was speechless when I researched it. I could not believe what I was doing to my animals. Immediatley I threw away an entire bag of Iams and decided to start fresh.

I came accross dogfoodanalysis.com while researching what I was about to try next. This site amazed me. I was on it for 6 hours that day looking carefully at everything on it. I then went with Wellness, tried several of the brands. Now me being a fulltime college student, and working fulltime had a limited budget, and wellness basically was way more than what I could afford. I also noticed my dog would not touch Wellness (Yes, going from a 1 star food to a five star food probably did that to him.) I even tried mixing the canned food in to make it smell more appealing. At the near end of the bag I had had countless failed attempts at getting him to even want to touch the food.

I then attended the Mutt Strutt, with my work. I found out about Eagle pack holistic there. I was shocked that they sold LOWER quality foods as well, so after trying one bag I chose not to support them again.
So next I went to Nature's Variety Prairie New Zealand Vension meal and millet medly and he pretty much liked that as long as I mixed in 1/4 a can of high quality moist food. So we went to the store again and to my dissapointment they did not have that food when I went. I purchased Merrick "Wilderness" brand instead and it seemed promising, but he didnt seem to like it as much. I have since found his Natures variety food.

Which leads me to some questions.
1. The dehydrated raw coating that their food has, is that better than not having it?
2. Which out of these brands minus Wellness of dry food would you reccomend?
3. Which canned food is the best to use?
4. Is there somewhere I can work where I educate people on how these commercial foods are destroying our pets? I am obsessed now.
5. Is the raw food diet more expensive than these foods? I love my animals and even on low money really try to give them good nutritional foods. They are my responsability.

If you have questions for me I would actually love to answer them, so feel free to ask!

I am sure I will have more later, glad I found this forum :)

Jackie

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi! Welcome to the board.
You may be switching around too much. Try to choose a dog food and stick with it (although I switch around among the premium kibble with Bella. She's not picky). When your dog gets hungry enough he will eat.

All the premium foods you mentioned are good. I've fed Bella the Merrick and she loved the wet stuff. I don't think she really loved the dry though. Canidae is another good premium kibble. I currently feed Bella Fromm Surf and Turf in the morning. It's a grain free kibble. And I feed her Honest Kitchen Force at night. It's a dehydrated grain-free raw food. None of it is cheap, but it's worth it.

There is someone on here who knows a lot about raw. Hopefully that person will weigh in here.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've pretty much narrowed it down to Natures Variety for now...but I am always looking for something better, it also fits my budget a little more than Wellness. I've never heard of surf n turf. Thanks for welcoming me.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Hey Jackie.
I feed 2 Great Danes and 2 cats on around $70 to $80/mo. A beginner just can't do that as it takes several months to learn how to shop for raw. To buy things cheap you will need to buy in bulk and have a freezer devoted just to your animals. I have 2 freezers for the animals. With your small dog and two cats, you won't need 2. :) For the "how to's" of raw feeding, check out my page listed in my sig. I can guarantee you that it is 100 times more nutritious than anything you can buy in a bag regardless of the cost.

·
Registered
1 Posts
HI Jackie,
I am a reformed crap kibble feeder just like you! You are doing the right thing by not beating yourself up about what you didn't know and getting yourself educated so that you do know what you are feeding and wht is is doing to your pets. I agree with "rawfeddogs", raw can be affordable if you know how and what to buy. I am a distributor of Oma's Pride (http://www.omaspride.com) here in New Hampshire. Oma's is a great company with great values and most importantly a wonderful product. I could not, and still can not believe the difference in their coats, their teeth, their muscle tone, and their behavior. Most of my clients are paying roughly $60-$70 to feed one dog per month totally on raw. Your Nature's Variety is probably somewhere around $50 a bag (I used to feed it before i became a distributor for raw). Nature's Variety is a good kibble, you could also try Merrik, they are really good too. Canidae is a great kibble too. You are on the right track though....but don't discourage yourself thinking you can't afford raw...with the right mixes, and addtions to the food you can supplement with some really nutritious things that will bulk up the food not your food bill. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts