Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new here. I am a retired zoologist, currently live in Virginia and have one West Siberian Laika female, one Saluki male and two Saluki females. I like hunting, gardening and raising our own goats and poultry. I am also interested in all kinds of dog breeds, but my favorite breed is West Siberian Laika. Of course, dog food is very important, but I still did not find a satisfactory brand dry dog food. Natural foods, such as raw fish or meat are sometimes hard to find.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Welcome! You have your own source of natural meats - goats and poultry :)

I would love to see photos. My cousin used to have Salukis.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Hello and welcome from a fellow Virginian. I am in the mountains of SW Virginia. Where in our lovely state are you?

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
When my cousin got married, his bride had her Saluki as a flower girl. I will never forget that gorgeous white dog - especially as I had never seen a dog remotely like that.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Welcome, wow your dogs are stunning, I adore sighthounds! Hunting is a great way to get raw for your dogs. That's what my family does, they hunt deer, elk, and rabbit mainly. I help skin and gut and we do our own processing (have a grinder, tenderizer, sausage stuffing kit, and slicer) and whatever I can get out of the meat that my family won't eat (I'm a vegetarian so I don't get any of it) I get for the dogs. Venison ribs and all the meat clippings. I get pounds and pounds each hunting season. You just need space to store it. I don't have a freezer apart from the small one attached to my fridge it the kitchen. So I borrow space in my moms and aunts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have plenty of venison when deer season comes. I utilize all scraps for dogs, but it is usually enough only until February. I also hunt squirrels with my Laika. You are lucky, having a lot of natural foods for your dogs

1 - 15 of 15 Posts