Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.I'm a certified dog lover and rescuer. I just rescued 2 dogs in one week! I pretty much have a full house as far as dogs go with the exception of one. I am presently looking for a good ranch dog large to medium breed that could guard the home and especially keep the coyotes and wild pigs away.I do not let my small dog outside without supervision any longer.About a month ago I lost my beloved chiuahua, who was a devoted part of the family.To tell you it broke my heart is an understatement.It was in pure daylight when they took him away.Now I'm a bit paranoid and insist my dogs stay close when I take them out to do their deed.So if anyone has any ideas about good ranch breeds please write!
Traditional Naturopath

L

·
0 Posts
Greetings!

Sorry to hear about your Chi, how horrible that must have been. I know you said medium/large dog, but have you considered a Great Pyrenees?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for writing-it gets lonely out here!

I'm more than willing to adopt a giant breed. Do you have any personal experience with the Great Pyreenes? About all I know about them is they're beautiful.I know I can look it up on the web but direct experience is better.

L

·
0 Posts
My only experience with them is from my customers (I work at PetSmart). I recently had to carry a 12 week old puppy to her owner's car because she decided she was going to take a nap and would not get up, and the owner couldn't physically carry her. Sweet sweet puppy, but HEAVY!

They are flock guardians, and will patrol a perimeter, which I think would suit your needs. They are heavy shedders though, and do drool quite a bit.

I was recently asked if my Siberian was a Pyr, which shocked me to no end! The only similarity is that my Sibe is white......but he's 56lbs, has pricked ears, blue eyes, and waaaaay less coat than a Pyr could ever dream of having.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hello & welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your little dog. I was also thinking of a Gt Pyr. or Maremma. Don't know much about them only what I've heard.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts