Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Pam, I stumbled across the forum as I was searching on pet food ingredients and allergies. My 18 month Golden all of a sudden is experiencing problems and one of the things I am doing right now is an elimination diet and trying to figure out what is the right kind of food for her although I am not entirely convinced that food is the cause of her new found allergies. How does eating the same dog food for 18 months all of sudden cause food allergies? Or is something else responsible for triggering her issue?

Nice to meet you and I am looking forward to searching the forum for some answers which I am sure have already been asked by others.

We live in the SF Bay Area and I am a professional photog of pets and people. (While my dog doesn't have a cone on her head) we normally do obedience, agility and rally training together.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Hi Pam and welcome to the forum! :smile: Nice to have you here.

I love SF, such a beautiful place! I know you will find a lot of helpful info. here. What are you currently feeding your Golden?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Sara, thanks for the nice welcome.

I was feeding her Eukanuba adult small breed kibble (cause she likes the smaller pieces). She used Zuke's mini chicken treats for training along with the peanut butter flavored ones. I usually don't use the peanut butter treats but that was all I could find at the time. Both chicken and peanut butter treats have no wheat, corn or soy.

Also, recently we started a different treat during agility called Bowsers Best Buffalo bites. Apparently the ingredients on that are Bison meat, soy protein, water, milk, soy flour. I can't recall if it coincides with her problems--but seeing that she wasn't doing soy before maybe a factor.

By the way, her name is Karma, forgot to mention that. :smile:

Karma is with me most of the day indoors--meaning I don't leave her outside much except when we play and train and she needs to eliminate. Our backyard is completely concreted and has tan bark along the sides where the bushes are along the fenced areas. There is usually little contact with grass except when we go somewhere else to train outside on occasion.

A few months back we went out of town for the weekend and she stayed at her breeder's home. There are 6 other Goldens for her to play with and her sibling and half siblings had a great time with her wrestling, playing and hanging out for two days. The alpha bitch got a little aggressive with Karma at times and when doing their playtime together and bit deeper than the usual nipping that occurs during dog play.

I found some scabbing, hot spots and bumps all over her body over the next few days. It became so bad that I took her to my vet and some of her scabbing became infected from biting and scratching so she was prescribed an antibiotic plus meds for her yeasty ears.

Fastforward to the last week or so. We had gone to a fun match and she was in the grass doing sits and downs, obedience, rally etc but we didn't spend a lot of time in the grass. Later in the week she started biting her hip area and caused another infection and a huge wound that was horrible. Bumps developed again in her inner thigh area but this time, it wasn't all over her body like it was before.

The vet put her on antibiotics again, some antihistamine, ear stuff and a cone to keep her from nibbling. Also, an elimination diet. She wants me to feed her duck and potato or rabbit or venison.

There are so many things going on who knows what caused the allergic reaction in the first place. Why now all of a sudden? I know my breeder does some kind of natural flea remedy and doesn't use Frontline or Advantix
wondering if maybe Karma just has allergic reaction to flea bites?

Again, never had this problem until as of recent except one ear was always getting a yeast issue off again on again.

The current food I am feeding her is Nutrisource PureVita Duck and Oatmeal but obviously I am not sold on the brand. It's main ingredients are duck, duck meal, oatmeal, vegan flavors, flaxseed.

I am definitely not going back to Eukanuba whether she's allergic to it or not.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Sounds to me like environmental allergies. But I will say that eukanunba is a mediocre food and it would be ideal to switch Karma to another more premium food. Maybe give Orijen a try...

Hello and welcome!

L

·
0 Posts
Welcome, Pam & Karma too. I have a 9 month old Golden male. He is fed a diet that consists of about 75% pre-made raw, the remaining 25% being grain-free kibble, canned 100% meat, and slightly cooked meat. I think grain-free kibble would be worth trying for Karma, just a friendly suggestion.

·
Registered
216 Posts
We have a lot of customers in the store who feed their allergy-ridden dogs Simply Natural Duck & Potato. Seems to work well for them.

Good luck with it! It's hard to watch when our furry babies are suffering

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Welcome! Shellie is my 22 month old Golden. I work for a vet and we see a lot of Golden Retrievers with allergies both food & environmental, normally when they are allergic to food you will see chronic or re-curring yeast infections in the ears, itchiness/hair loss around eyes, irritated/itchy bum, and hotspots, as well as rashes on the stomach. Eukanuba uses a lot of corn and chicken in their foods both of which are common allergens that dogs react too. Another one is soy. We have great success with Natural Balance Limited Ingredients Diets for dogs with food allergies. While some dogs dog great just on a grain free diet if they are used to grains, others can be allergic to chicken which is a common ingredient in grain free diets. Shellie eats Raw food for breakfast and Blue Wilderness Salmon Formula for dinner. She was showing signs of food allergies when she was eating Royal Canin then Nature's Recipe, then I learned more about dog food, and she did great on Taste Of The Wild (Pacific Stream) for a while. Dogs can develop allergies to foods after eating the same formula over a period of time, even if they were fine on it for that long. My chihuahua Zoey at Royal Canin Sensitive Skin for 2 years, then started reacting to something in it, so I started looking for other foods, she ate Natural Balance Duck & Potato for a while, now is on 100% raw (for 1 month) and she hasn't itched in 4-5 days which is a record for her. If you don't already adding Salmon Oil to the food will help with itchiness too. Remember that it can take up to 12 weeks to see a positive response in an elimination trial, and it's best to keep all treats in line with the elimination diet. Welcome to the forum!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts