Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all my new friends at DFC!

My name is Jean and I live in Raleigh, NC, by way of North Jersey. And yes...I am a real Jersey Girl.

I have a soon to be 6 year old Golden Retriever named Koda. He's our second golden boy as our first, Bailey, passed in 2004 from bone cancer. It was with Bailey that I became interested in holistic alternatives and the raw food diet.

As much as I wanted to feed Koda raw, it's just not an ecomonical alternative so I've gone with Dr. Harvey’s Canine Health, which is an all-natural, holistic dog food pre-mix. It's worked very well for Koda and it's easy to prepare. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone that is also using this food and what your experiences have been.

Thanks and look forward to getting to know everyone on the forum!

- Jean

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Koda is a handsome boy, I hope you'll post more pictures of him!!
I haven't used that food, but I'm sure you'll find all the information you need here.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Hello and welcome!!! I hope that you enjoy it here a learn a lot, plenty of knowledgeable and experienced dog owners here.

I know that you said that raw is not economical right now, but seeing as you are from a fairly large city, we could help you learn how to make feeding raw economical. Most of us here pay less than $1 per pound for a variety of meats (chicken, turkey, fish, pork, beef, etc).

Either way I'm glad you joined and that you are interested in dog health!!!

L

·
0 Posts
Welcome, GoldenGirl and Koda! I've just become a Golden owner, I just adopted a 5 month old male Golden. I've always wanted a Golden, and my new pup is an absolute dream.
Enjoy the forum!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Welcome!!

And congrats on your golden, Labbiemomma.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Welcome, welcome!!! :biggrin: Hope this place is everything you had hoped it would be. :wink:

As much as I wanted to feed Koda raw, it's just not an ecomonical alternative so I've gone with Dr. Harvey’s Canine Health, which is an all-natural, holistic dog food pre-mix. It's worked very well for Koda and it's easy to prepare. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone that is also using this food and what your experiences have been.
Quick question for ya....this food that you feed, it contains no meat, correct? Do you add your own meat or just feed it as is?

I know that you said that raw is not economical right now, but seeing as you are from a fairly large city, we could help you learn how to make feeding raw economical. Most of us here pay less than $1 per pound for a variety of meats (chicken, turkey, fish, pork, beef, etc).
This is true. I'm fairly new to raw, but I've bought chicken leg quarters, whole tilapia, pork picnic roasts, pork neck bones, pork tongues, whole turkeys, and chicken livers all for under a dollar a pound. Actually they all average out to about 66 cents a pound. :biggrin:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome, welcome!!! :biggrin: Hope this place is everything you had hoped it would be. :wink:

Quick question for ya....this food that you feed, it contains no meat, correct? Do you add your own meat or just feed it as is?

This is true. I'm fairly new to raw, but I've bought chicken leg quarters, whole tilapia, pork picnic roasts, pork neck bones, pork tongues, whole turkeys, and chicken livers all for under a dollar a pound. Actually they all average out to about 66 cents a pound. :biggrin:
Thanks for the welcome! With the canine pre-health, you add a protein and an oil. I usually use turkey, ground beef, eggs or lentils. For the oil, I use either olive oil or flaxseed oil. Barlean's (sp?) makes a great flaxseed oil just for dogs. I get it at the nutrition store.

Thanks,
Jean

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello and welcome!!! I hope that you enjoy it here a learn a lot, plenty of knowledgeable and experienced dog owners here.

Either way I'm glad you joined and that you are interested in dog health!!!
Natalie,

I'd love to hear about how you feed raw. When I was feeding my first Golden raw, I bought it at the nutrition store in frozen 1 lb bars. It was raw chicken with the bone, ground up. I gave him two a day and each costed around $3.50. That's why I decided against it because it was costing us around $200 a month in food.

What's the process you follow?

Thanks,
Jean

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome to the forum! Koda is a handsome boy, I hope you'll post more pictures of him!!
I haven't used that food, but I'm sure you'll find all the information you need here.
Thanks for the welcome Linsey and I LOVE the picture of Grissom! It makes me laugh every time I see it.

- Jean

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome, GoldenGirl and Koda! I've just become a Golden owner, I just adopted a 5 month old male Golden. I've always wanted a Golden, and my new pup is an absolute dream.
Enjoy the forum!
Thanks and welcome to the wonderful world of Golden ownership! Nothing beats a golden puppy in my book.

- Jean

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! Have fun here! Sorry this is a late post!:smile:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts