Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! My name is Shannon, I live in Portland, Oregon, and I'm mommy to a 7-month old black lab named Dr. Tiki Bodega (Tiki). She's about the best puppy anyone could ask for. Easy to train, great personality, perfect balance of energy and mellowness, friendly to everyone, careful around small children, plus she doesn't wake me up in the morning :) In a month I'll be bringing home a little westie puppy (girl). She'll be ready to come home with me on August 28th and I'm very excited! Tiki would be too if she knew what was coming.

I work at a small dog and cat store which sells quality brands of food. Since I started there I've been doing a lot of research into foods so I can make knowledgeable recommendations to my customers. I'm hoping to be able to learn more from the discussions here plus have the chance to ask my own questions. I'm also in school to become a nurse, so the classes I have taken about the body and nutrition have helped me toward understanding more about dog's nutritional needs (yes I know their bodies aren't exactly the same, I do make adjustments in the data for people and dogs).

I'm looking forward to getting to know you guys and expanding my knowledge even more :smile:

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Hi Shannon! Welcome. Nice to have you here. :biggrin:

I currently live in Pendleton, Oregon, but we are planning to move to Portland within the next year. I just love Portland and visit there often!

What is the name of the store where you work? Do they carry brands like Orijen and Acana? I am always looking for places to get kibble for my dogs while I visit Portland since Pendleton has next to nothing when it comes to quality kibble.

Congrats on the new puppy! Westies are just adorable. I hope you post pics. of Tiki and the new pup! :biggrin:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Hello and welcome!

Hope you find all the help and experience here that you are looking for!

Definitely post up some pictures of those sweet puppies of yours :wink:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! The store I work in is called Black Dog. We don't carry Orijen but not because of the quality. There's a long story associated with why we don't carry it but it's definitely not because we don't think it's good.

We're pretty lucky in Portland to have such a dog friendly city. So many great dog parks and I happen to live very close to the best one around :)

I uploaded a pic of Tiki but will have to look into how to make it my avatar, and I'll try to get a couple of the pics I have of the westie uploaded soon.

Looking forward to expanding my knowledge with you guys!

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I saw your pic. of Tiki! What a little doll! :biggrin: I bet she will love having a new friend.

Where is the dog park that you live by? I come to Portland often and would love to go to it. Yes, I have found Portland to be very dog friendly. Can't wait until we move there!

What other brands of dog food do you carry? I might have to come by and check out Black Dog! :smile:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We carry several varieties of raw, then foods like Wellness, Evangers, Nature's Logic, First Mate, the Natura products (we decided to stick with them until we see something wrong. We just have too many dogs on those products who don't do well on anything else), Merrick, and others. It's a little shop packed with personality :wink:

The park I go is called Hazelia Field (or Farm?). It used to be called Luscher Farm but they did a big revamp and renamed it. They have 2 separate areas, both fenced, one for "active" dogs and the other for "shy, timid" dogs. I like that it's not big and small, since small dogs are not all timid and big dogs are not all active. It's very well maintained, has a beautiful setting with lots of trees and seating, running water, a clean bathroom, and even a hose to rinse them off if they get too muddy.

We go to other parks sometimes for a change of scenery, but none of them have come close, and some we just hated. There's an indoor dog park that recently opened near me called InBark. $8 for the day and you can come and go as you please. We love it! She's done doggie daycare there a few times just for fun and she always came back to me super happy and tired out. I love it for rainy days and also really hot days, which we haven't had many of this summer.

How soon are you moving to Portland?

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
How awesome! Your dog park sounds really great! I can't wait to try it out. That's also so cool about the indoor dog park. I'll have to give that a try too! :biggrin:

Duncan, our new pup, will finally be all done with his vaccinations next Thursday...so after that I will be socializing him around new dogs all the time. We may be coming to Portland this weekend, but I don't think I will do any dog parks yet since Duncan won't quite be all done with his shots. But for sure the next time!

We hope to be moving to Portland within a year, maybe even as soon as the beginning of 2011.

I will have to come by Black Dog and check out all the food and personality....:biggrin:

BTW, can you recommend a good vet in Portland?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll ask around about vets. I'm not happy with mine so I'll find out who's good.

There's a great puppy playgroup at the place we did training classes. It's called Wonder Puppy, you can find their info online. They do playgroups on Sundays and it's separated by weight groups. It's an option for the puppy and they just have to have their first set of shots. Wonderful place! We used to go to playgroup every week.

Time to head to the dog park! :biggrin:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh btw the dog park we go to is Hazelia Field. It used to be called Luscher Farms and some sites still have it listed as that. Fabulous place! We spent 2.5 hours there this afternoon and had a wonderful time!

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Just looked it up on-line and saw some pictures. It looks wonderful! Can't wait until Duncan is all done with his shots. He really needs to get out and about with some other dogs other than Lucky.

It would be fun to meet up one weekend and let our pups play! :biggrin:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Can't wait until Duncan is all done with his shots. He really needs to get out and about with some other dogs other than Lucky.
You want to get him out a lot sooner than when he's done with his shots. Dog's socialization window closes at 16 weeks and he is MUCH more difficult if not impossible to socialize after that age.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I had my Cayenne at puppy kindergarten classes I believe at 12 weeks, she's so good with all dogs especially little tiny things, they had a class that didn't seperate the small dogs from the larger breeds and this past weekend she played with the smallest pug and EBT puppy at my union BBQ.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Back in the days I taught puppy classes, I would often have pups as young as 8 weeks in the class. During the class, we would have a 10 minute "puppy play time" were all the pups were turned loose to play together.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
We take every puppy that we will ever own to a puppy socialization class. Which is basically a puppy playtime with very non structured training mixed in. Really basic stuff. We take them a couple times a week, which we will be starting again here in about two weeks with Zuri!

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
He has been around other dogs, just not as much as I'd like. I do take him just about everywhere that I can with me. He has been into all our Tractor Supply stores, Home Depot, etc. He also goes with me everytime I go to Portland to see my husband (who has been on a job detail for the past 8 weeks). He stays in the hotel with me. So, he has been to a lot of different places and met a lot of new people. Don't think he's been coped up in my house all this time.

It has been difficult because not only have I been alone with my two children for 8 weeks, but there is NOTHING in Pendleton as far as puppy classes. The nearest PetCo is a 45 min. - 1 hour drive from where I live. It's kinda hard to attend a puppy class when I have a 2 year old and a 4 year old in tow! This whole job detail with my husband was unexpected and things will be MUCH easier once he is back home.

However, I do think there is a socializing class just starting up with the Walla Walla Kennel Club. It meets tonight at a park. I am hoping that with it being at a park I may be able to get away with having my children with me...we'll see. I will try to attend as I know how important it is!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Welcome! I also live in the Portland area. Glad to have more people from this area =)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sara, I would love to have a puppy playdate when you're up here (over here?)! I hope you'll get a chance to try out Hazelia, it's really a great park. I also hope you'll get a chance to go to the puppy playgroup at Wonder Puppy while you're visiting. Such a great experience!

I started taking Tiki as soon as I brought her home, 8 weeks. She was the shy one of her litter and was afraid of other dogs. She spent most of her first playgroup in the corner, away from the 2 other puppies there. By the next playgroup she got braver and was socializing by the end of it. By the third playgroup she was chomping at the bit to get in there and play! Now she is the most social dog you've ever seen. She's careful with little dogs, takes cues well, and I have yet to see her afraid of any other dogs (respectful when she needs to be, but not afraid).

And to everyone else, Hello!! :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts