Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My name is Moriah and I live in North Carolina. (With my family as I am a teen). I love animals and love learning all about them and all aspects of caring for them.

We have one dog, Spike. He's a Jack Russell mix (mainly Jack Russell) and he's six years old. We adopted him back in November from a local shelter. His birthday put down on the info was May 6th. He's pretty calm for being mostly Jack Russell. He loves chasing after balls and having you chase him. He loves walks and playing with other dogs.

We recently realized he is allergic to something in his food, as he is constantly itching, licking his paws, had 3 or more bowel movements everyday, wasn't very interested in his food and ate it grudgingly. He acted depressed quite a bit of the time. Starting this past Sunday I put him on a homemade elimination diet and the change is amazing already! The itching and paw licking has drastically improved, no more anal itching, reduced bowel movements, he looks forward to his meals and eats with gusto and isn't acting so depressed.

Reactions: whiteleo

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Welcome to another North Carolinian! There are quite a few of us on this board. Guess it's too hot to go outside so we all stay inside on our computers all day!

Glad to hear you adopted a dog and be sure to ask away with any questions you may have. Everyone here is really friendly.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Welcome Moriah! You will find alot of helpful, friendly people on this board with a fountain of information. It is good to see a "teen" that is so interested in learning for the betterment of their dogs health. Again, welcome!! Glad to have you!

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Nice to have you here! Hi and welcome to the forum. :biggrin:
That's awesome that you took those steps with the elimination diet for your dog. I know he is much happier because of it! :biggrin:
I hope you find this forum helpful...I know I do!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys,

I am newbie as well in the forum. So this is my initial post.

I ran my own dog websites that caters different type of dog breeding and we have specialized dog breeder programs. I know I still have more things to learn on how to take care of dogs especially their health.

Expect me in the days ahead, I have few questions.

I hope a nice stay.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi Moriah,

As another newbie (I'm from South Carolina), welcome. I think Spike is one lucky dog that you've given him a forever home. Most older dogs aren't so lucky in the shelters I don't think. You'll be able to find eveything you need to know here. The folks are wonderful.

My son and his wife have two Jack Russells, Tucker and Lucy - Lucy is a mix we think, but looks mainly Jack Russell, she has way longer legs than Tucker. Anyway, Lucy was rescued a couple of years ago just one day short of being put down at the shelter. She was thin and afraid and for awhile they didn't know what they had gotten themselves into but they worked with her a lot and she has adjusted really well.

I think animals can sense when you've saved them and they try to repay you in so many ways to show their appreciation. Like I said, Spike is a lucky dog.

Brenda

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the warm welcome!
I'm not sure what he's mixed with, but he is longer then most Jack Russell's and has a deep bark. He also weighs more than most Jack Russell's at 21 pounds.
I know a lot of people thank us for rescuing an older dog. I guess most people want a cute little puppy and don't even give a thought about older dogs. My mom wanted an older dog because she's been there and done that with puppies and she doesn't like all the chewing, house training, crate training, huge amounts of energy etc. And I wanted an older dog because most of the time they just sit there while people coo over puppies when they deserve a home just as much as puppies do.
The only thing I hate about adopting a dog is I want to save them all, and obviously you can't do that.

Yep, I guess so, chowder! It's been so hot lately! But I like the heat in the Summer. :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts