Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! My name is Tamara and my husband and I are proud parents of Gonzo, our pug baby.
Gonzo is now 6 yrs old and I'm posting with a question about his food. I currently give him Newman's Organic dry kibble but he is still a little bit overweight and needs a reduced calorie food.
My husband and I are very concerned about the quality of his food and prefer the organic/ no grain/ no GMO...blah blah.. kind of kibbles.
Does anyone with pugs out there recomend a dry food that follows those guidelines but has a lower caloric count? I would really appreciate any information since our little guy means the world to us.
Thanks for reading, Tamara, Ted and Gonzo :)

·
Registered
333 Posts
welcome tamara!

well no worries about anyone on these forums recommending crappy food. all the kibble feeders are into the no grain premium kibbles like EVO, merrick, orijen, wellness core, etc. we also have a large raw section. feel free to poke around, read up and definitely start any posts!!!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Hi and welcome pug mommy! We have a couple who has 2 in our area and two other people with the fawm colored pugs. They are so friendly and affectionate. Just cute dogs!

I right now am feeding weight management wellness core but have also used quiet a few premium wieght control foods. You can also just feed less of what your giving her less. Innova Evo reduced fat is grain free and an exceptional food. This is one to think about if you want grain free! Innova reduced fat has grains but is a very nice food if your looking for one with grains in it! California Natural makes low fat a lamb and a chickne one but they both have low meat quality but then again with these you can top with a wet in the evening meal to compensate for the lack of meat too, or top with a low calorie meat turkey whatever you like!!:smile: When you read the amount to feed feed a bit less than the package recommends this helps. Walks~ swimming great for them!

Oh I have 4 dogs my labs are the ones (gee wonder why haha) on the weight control! I have a beagle and an ori~pei on regular adult food!
Good luck with your quest for the best food! You will certainly find alot of help here! :biggrin:

L

·
0 Posts
I grew up with pugs as my mother loved them. Most of the pugs I have seen around here are overweight, unfortunately. They seem to be prone to obesity. I hope your pug gets lots of playtime and exercise!

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
welcome! :)

I understand your concern, keep in mind though that most organic foods like newman and karma are extremely grain heavy and really not worth the money. There are a lot of grain free foods on the market, you could try orijen or acana provincial, both are excellent foods.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll learn a lot about canine nutrition here!
I'd recommend looking into a higher quality diet for your pup. Unfortunately pugs are VERY prone to obesity and that's a battle you'll have to fight with. Watching portions is your best bet. Consider feeding less of a higher quality kibble such as Evo or Wellness Core. Perhaps give raw feeding some consideration.
I hope you find exactly what you're looking for!

·
Registered
7 Posts
New

Hi all!! My husband and I have 3 great labrador retrievers.Lucy Lue is a yellow lab,and is 5 ,Molly May is black who is 3 and our problem dog and Zoey Zoe is 9 weeks old and chocolate.Food Food Food we all know about that problem.Molly is our problem.She cannot have anything with chicken beet pulp and we think.We had been feeding the girls eagle pak duck and oatmeal worked good for 2 1/2 years and they changed it and we think put more beet pulp then before and at that point we have been on the search .Before eagle pac 22 different foods from store bought to home cooked . New ones tried in the last 3 months.Natural Balance duck ,Verus somekind of fish and potato and then back to trying home cooking till we hit the product that works.Help!!!Any Suggestion for her and our new puppy who is eating eukanuba .but thought I would not change here till she is settled in about a month or so.

·
Registered
68 Posts
We use Nature's Variety. Works well for all 5 of our dogs and it is an all life stages food. We mainly use the Prairie which does contain grains but is also more appropriate for puppies. It does not have beet pulp. We use the chicken and brown rice formula mostly, but they have several other varieties, such as venison, salmon, lamb, and beef.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts