Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone, I have been searching this forum for a while now and just wanted to introduce myself. I have been feeding raw (chicken backs and some necks) for a little more than two weeks. So far, so good. I have really enjoyed watching Grace enjoy her food.

I do have a question....She has thrown up twice today. Asked to go outside, ate some grass and vomitted just foamy bile. She acts a little off today and has refused breakfast. Is this "normal" behavior? Should I be concerned?

This way of feeding seems so right to me, but I must admit it is a little scary making the change when I see this type of outcome. I will say that she only had moderately loose stools on day 2. After that, just really firm/almost hard, very SMALL poop!! Gotta love that!

Any thoughts/advice is apprecited. Thanks in advance to all you long timers for being there for us newbies!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Hey! I know you. ;)

Flip had a pukey day just recently...I fasted him for 24 hours and it cleared right up.

Sometimes they just get 'the ick'. :)

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Welcome! I guess we should just assume that all the new poodle owners are friends of spookie :tongue:

Did you happen to feed anything other than the chicken? Or notice the chicken having a bit more fat on it than usual?

When was the last time she ate before she threw up? Sometimes dogs will get hunger pains/pukes that will make their tummies upset. Raw foods only stick around in their system for about 6-8 hours. So if you feed twice a day, it's a possibility that she just got super hungry overnight because it takes some time for some dogs to adjust to not having something in their stomach a lot of the time. Kibble can sit in a dogs stomach for 12+ hours, so most kibble fed dogs have food in their system at any given time.

Spookie is right that "the ick" just happens sometimes but far less with raw than compared to kibble.

If you notice this continuing on for more than two days and a progression of symptoms I would call your vet. Just prepare yourself for th to tell you that you are killing your dog with raw food...most of them will actually think this way, unless you are lucky enough to go to a pro-raw vet!

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Seems like the poodles owners are flooding in these days. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
That is because we poodle folks are as smart as our dogs! :cool:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for all the help. And a BIG hello to spooky! I actually do have a vet that supports (does not 100% agree with) feeding raw. She also supports my vaccine protocal!

To danemama08: Grace only ate one chicken back for dinner last night. Was not interested in breakfast this morning. We did have overnight guests last night and she LOVES these people....maybe that added excitement threw her off!!

Love the flood of poodle owners coming over...lol Grace is my first poodle. I have been a German and Belgian Shepherd owner all my life. I lost my Belgian Tervuren 2years ago to stomach cancer and have wanted to feed raw ever since. My husband begged me to get a non-shedding dog....I am now a poodle convert!

Again thanks for the warm welcome and the help!

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I would bank on it being a combo of over excitement and just being plain old hungry...I mean the hunger pains/pukes. You might give her a bit more at night so it can sustain her a bit longer too! Let us know how she does!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok....so I just got home, took the chill off of a chicken back, gave it to Grace. She was hungry and ready to eat. (it is a little later than usual for her) She ate one chicken back and promptly came in the house and through it up. Now What? Is it possible that the "cold" of the chicken does not agree with her? Hopefully breakfast will go better!!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
She ate one chicken back and promptly came in the house and through it up. Now What? Is it possible that the "cold" of the chicken does not agree with her? Hopefully breakfast will go better!!
I hope you gave her the opportunity to re-eat it. Often newly switched dogs don't chew enough and bring it back up to chew it some more. They soon learn how much to chew. At this point, I wouldn't worry much about it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hope you gave her the opportunity to re-eat it. Often newly switched dogs don't chew enough and bring it back up to chew it some more. They soon learn how much to chew. At this point, I wouldn't worry much about it.
Thanks for the advice. I will give her the opportunity to re-eat it next time!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
It definitely sounds like regurgitation vs. vomit. :)

Reactions: redspoo
1 - 12 of 12 Posts