Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Molly is my 1-1/2 yr. old Labrador/Boxer mix and I got her from the Rescue Center in Benicia/Vallejo here in California a month ago.

I have had no experience caring for a mix breed as my first pet was a Dalmatian. I find there are not that many books/resources about mix breeds and what to expect. She's a pretty mellow, affectionate, but high energy dog. I feed her home-cooked food and often wonder how much I should feed her. I feed her morning and evening, but she gobbles up her food pretty fast and I don't know if she's full or not! she has gained 12lbs. since I got her a month and a half ago. her ribs aren't showing as much anymore.

Hope someone out there can share some info.
Thanks...
Roz and Molly

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hi, Welcome! My rescue dog pretty much did the same thing - she gained around 10 lbs.. I'm new at this too however, I have been going by what the bag says and then I stick to it as I'm trying to have her lose some of the weight she recently gained. You'll learn alot here. I have and still am. Good luck!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi and welcome from Zoe Melvin and I :smile: In my experience you are going to have a dog that likes to eat LOL Labs love to eat as do boxers. Both are prone to food allergies so you might want to stick to a non grain high quality kibble. Good Luck !

L

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the forum --- whether a purebred or a mixed-breed all dogs are pretty much the same, IMO. A dog is a dog ..... if they seem to be doing well on what you are feeding them, then it's all good. Keep them at a good weight so they can stay active and healthy longer.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Over the years I have found that the amount of food that they suggest on the label is way too much food.......I'm sure they do it so you'll overfeed & have to buy more. I would definitely use a grain free kibble & use a lot less than what they suggest on the label & then you'll have to adjust.

You'll find that it's easier to put weight on than to take it off!:eek:

I home cook with a little bit of kibble added for crunch......it took me a while to get it right. When Hannah started to lose weight, I gave her a little more food & now she's maintaining her weight perfectly.

Takes a while to figure it all out but they are more than worth it.....:biggrin:

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Over the years I have found that the amount of food that they suggest on the label is way too much food.......I'm sure they do it so you'll overfeed & have to buy more. I would definitely use a grain free kibble & use a lot less than what they suggest on the label & then you'll have to adjust.

You'll find that it's easier to put weight on than to take it off!:eek:
Never thought about that. But I just started, today as a matter of fact, giving my dogs less food than the label says. You're so right, it's much easier to gain it than to lose it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello and Welcome!

I'm new here too and wanted to say hello. I think as far as how much to feed your dog....well, it will depend on how active your dog is for one. I would suggest you talk with your vet at your next visit to get an idea as to what weight the vet thinks your dog should be for her age...breed, etc., then you can go from there. I think feeding your dog twice a day is best, as they enjoy eating and it gives them an opportunity to digest their food in equal qantities rather than all at once. Well, that's my two cents for now! I hope you enjoy your new member of the family for many years to come!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts