Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I found your site while researching dog food.

We've been foolish enough to have been giving our dogs Beneful for the last year. The doxie tried it at someone else's house and loved it.

Our family includes a mini-doxie (Babe) and a cocker (Hannah) who are entering their senior years. Hannah isn't feeling well, and has been throwing up. She has an appt for the doctor next week.

Today, we're moving to a new food. I know you're supposed to stagger in the new food, but after knowing what I do now, I'm sick about continuing to add it to the bowl.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Welcome-
We also came here after researching different dog foods-there's a lot to learn. Don't feel too bad-we all come to our senses at some point about the crap we fed them before. We don't have any experience with beneful, but we've recently switched to bluebuffalo from iams for our Irish Setters. Just be patient-ask lots of questions here-you'll learn a lot just by reading.
Best of luck!:smile:

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hello, I found your site while researching dog food.

We've been foolish enough to have been giving our dogs Beneful for the last year. The doxie tried it at someone else's house and loved it.

Our family includes a mini-doxie (Babe) and a cocker (Hannah) who are entering their senior years. Hannah isn't feeling well, and has been throwing up. She has an appt for the doctor next week.

Today, we're moving to a new food. I know you're supposed to stagger in the new food, but after knowing what I do now, I'm sick about continuing to add it to the bowl.
Welcome! I'm sorry Hannah isn't feeling well. You'll like it here. :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and don't feel too bad, I started my dog off on Purina Dog chow for the first four years of her life *shudders*
Now she's on raw and doing amazing! The important thing is that we learn and grow in our knowledge, rather than closing the door and refusing to believe the alternatives. And you're definitely doing that already, so you're miles ahead of most of the world!

I hope Hannah feels better soon!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
welcome

:smile:Welcome! Hope Hannas Dr. appt. goes well. I have a 10 year old beagle and well things change as they age!
Don't feel bad about feeding Beneful ~yep its bad ~but before I got on these type sights I thought science diet was good (horrible stuff) and did not understand about reading the labels. So we all live and learn and doggies are so forgiving they rock! I now have mine on merrick before grain, califonia natural, wellness, evo so there are tons of great products out there to try! Just have to find out whats right for you and your pups!
Good luck on the sight and have fun!:biggrin:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the kind comments.

We switched to Wild something - grain free bison and venison dry food. The dogs love it and I noticed a change in Hannah in the next few days. No throwing up and good poop.

Both dogs have a doctor's visit for teeth cleaning and checkups tomorrow.

My friend swears by Preference, a dehydrated vegetable mix you combine with hot water and meat. My sister swears by wet food and plain yogurt. Her dog had gall stones. Her vet tested the dog to determine whether the she would do better on dry or wet food. In general, her vet recommends wet food.

Annette
:smile:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hannah is fine healthwise and doing great with the new food. She stopped throwing up and pawing at her eyes and ears. It sounds like she was having allergy symptoms. Babe had 5 teeth pulled during the teeth cleaning. The vet said doxies are prone to tooth decay because of the length of their snouts. Anyone else with doxies have teeth problems?
:confused:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
My sister has two cocker spaniels and they both have ear problems. I have labs which they get ear infections with swimming and all and my one is 1/2 sharpei and 1/2 pug he can get ear infections as well. My sister also feeds her cockers speicial allergy foods. I am glad to hear Hanna is doing great! That is wonderful!
as for doxies I know someone who has one but I have no idea about the teeth. I am sure someone will address this issue for you!!!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hello & welcome to the forum. Glad your pooches had a good report. You must be so pleased Hannah doesn't throw up any more. To keep their teeth in the best condition give them raw meaty bones. My last bc April was told to have a teeth clean & I started giving her more bones & on the next check up the vet said her teeth were great for a dog her age.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts