Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I am new to this forum and have found the information to be very informative and valuable. I have a 4 year old Bichon Shih Tzu named Sasha and lately she has been fussy about her food.

The vet switched her about 6 months ago to Hill's Prescription T/D (small bites) for her teeth. What I found was that she was swallowing the kibble in whole and not chewing, which was counterproductive. I figured that she didn't like the food but was hungry so she would just swallow it and be done!

I made the mistake of switching her to Science Diet Nature's Best at the recommendation of a clerk at the vet's office. BAD MISTAKE! It did not sit well with her at all and her stool became very loose. Now she is on home made boiled rice and chicken with some T/D bites in there until I can get her to something that will be good for her. I am thinking about trying Wellness Core Reduced Fat to keep her weight in check.

I am open to any recommendations. Glad to be part of the group! :smile::smile:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello Donna and welcome to you and Sasha. I'm glad you found this forum. I don't want to make any enemies here but I don't really like Hill's products and in my own opinion most vets like to sell them to enhance their practice's bottom line. The best way to ensure healthy teeth for your dog is to brush them daily and have them scaled by the vet every year or two depending on the calcification layer built up on the teeth. Dry kibble dog food does little or nothing to enhance proper dental hygene. These are not my words, but that of my own vet. Good chewing practices such as dried bull tendon or bully sticks, raw bones and other highly digestable material are a better choice for dental hygene. Rawhide is good as a chew but is not digested by the dog's stomach if it should be swallowed which can possibly cause a bowel obstruction.
Follow your dog's direction on what he likes to chew on and allow him to chew at least three times a week.

Hugs

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi and welcome from Zoe Melvin and I :) Good for you I am glad you are thinking of changing to Wellness Core. It is a big improvement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts