Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to raw feeding and was interested in getting advice from more seasoned pet owners. My 1 year old shepherd/collie mix is allergic to flaxseed and so I started him on a raw diet. He was doing great but now has been experiencing diarrhea. It clears up with antibiotics but then 2 weeks later is back. I feed him mostly chicken products as he is allergic to lamb, pork and veal. Someone suggested to me to take the skin off the chicken before feeding it to him. Any suggestions for me?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Welcome! Are you feeding enough bone in meat? If you don't feed enough bone, that will happen. I'm not 100% sure on the skin, but being new to raw it wouldn't hurt to take the skin off for a week or so and see if that helps also.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Hey and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to be so late in answering this post.

My 1 year old shepherd/collie mix is allergic to flaxseed and so I started him on a raw diet. He was doing great but now has been experiencing diarrhea.
There are several things that cause diarrhea. First we need to know what you are calling diarrhea. Is it soft cow pie type stools, soft well formed stools, or watery stools?

The main causes of soft, runny, or watery stools in newly switched dogs are:
1. Too much food - Feed smaller meals
2. Too much fat - Remove skin and excess fat from food IF you have a problem
3. Organs added too early in the diet - wait a couple of months to feed organs
4. Too much variety too early in the diet
5. Not enough bone in the diet - Feed more bone

It clears up with antibiotics but then 2 weeks later is back.
Are you sure it's the antibiotics that is clearing up the diarrhea or is it just clearing up on it's own? Its rare that diarrhea is caused by something that antibiotics will cure. Usually antibiotics are more likely to cause diarrhea then cure it.

I feed him mostly chicken products as he is allergic to lamb, pork and veal. Someone suggested to me to take the skin off the chicken before feeding it to him. Any suggestions for me?
I doubt seriously that your dog is allergic to lamb, pork or veal. This would be almost unheard of. It would be like a cow being allergic to grass. If you got the information on what your dog is allergic to by allergy tests run by a vet, these tests are notoriously inaccurate. If you got it from experimenting with different kibbles, thats another inaccurate method to determine allergies.

You can try removing the skin from the chicken. Sometimes that helps in the early stages of raw feeding. How long have you been feeding raw? Exactly what chicken parts are you feeding him and what else do you feed?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts