Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

I have been reading alot of the post on this site for a little while now and i guess its time to say hi.

I guess i'll introduce my first dog Star. I got Star from the Oakland Spca when she was around 6 weeks old in March of 1999. She has been and still is the best friend a man could ask for. But as we known all to well, being a large breed dog(over 85 pounds and we think Irish Wolf Hound Mix) and turning 11 has taken some of that good ole' spunk out of her. She just got back from the vet yesterday after some X-Rays and blood work the vet didn't have many good things to say. Stars hips and lower spine have seen better days. The tissue between the bones and the bones themselves have extremly deteriorated and this has caused severe mobilitly issues and has even caused her to become constipated. There is also something to do with the nerves that has cuased her to start loosing feeling in her back legs. Right now Star is not ready to give up the fight. So until she is we have her on some pain medicine and lots of extra love.

And then there is Cammy. I got Cammy from my Grandmother who is a very stubbern and thick headed 87 year old woman. She has owned many Greman Shepherds in her life time and was in love with breed. Cammy needed a home and my Grandmother had room for her since her last Shepherd had past away a few months prior. My Grandmother showered her with love and affection and toys and treats. She fed her Innova dog food and gave her the best home any dog could ask for. With my Grandmother being 87 years old though it was very hard for her give Cammy the exercise she craved. And with Grandmas age catching up to her she was finding it harder and harder to keep up with a 2 year old GSD (now 3 Years Old). Even though it was very hard for her to do She gave me the dog Since she knows i will love and care for her just like i already do for my StarStar dog. Cammy has been happily living here with us next to the beach ever since.

Well I guess that's my Introduction for now.
Jeremy

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Aww beautiful dogs! I'm sorry to hear about Star, you'll have to keep us updated on her condition. Do you have her on a good hip and joint supplement?

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Beautiful dogs! Cami is a gorgeous GSD! Sorry to hear about Star though! Ageing and dogs~ its tough to see them in debilitating conditions when we just always have known them to be spunky balls of fire! I hope your vet has good answers for you! My dogs range in age from 2 to 10 and 1/2. So senior dogs are just a wonderful part of the pack! Interested to know how Star's doing!:smile:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Again.

Thanks for all the comments. Star has started her pain meds and anti inflamitory meds. I believe its Tramadol and metacam. She is still finding it hard to keep her balance and mobility is still So-So but shes seems to be doing alot better. The vet told me to feed her Canned pumkin to loosen her bowls to make it easier for her to get past her constipation which has worked very well. but i have a few questions about the long term use of it or if theres somthing better, so ill ask about that in the dog food area or health i guess. but i'm off to work.

Jeremy

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Glad to read Star is on meds for pain and all! My chocolate Lab 4&3/4 (she will be 5 in April) takes Tramodol 50 mg tabs. she can take from 4 to 6 a day. like 2 or 3 in the morning and 2 or 3 in the evening! She has a bit of arthritis in her one hip. affects her leg she had had times where she would absolutley not walk on that leg. We started out with gee was it (rimadl SP?) I hope I sort of spelled that right! But didnt work and the tramadol for pain seems to be doing really good! With the cold weather in the winter I do the max and cut back as it gets warmer with the pills! She aslo gets glucosime & chondrotine with MSM (smas club) fish oil & vitamin E.So far great results! Hoping the same for you and Star!:smile:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Star is on 50mg once every 8 hours to start off. We have to go back to the vet this weekend to talk about how we think she's doing. I think its working awesome so far. Her only problem right now is she doesnt seem to know where her legs and feet are some times but the vet seems to think its nerve damage.

Where could i find more info on the Vitamin E and fish oil?

Jeremy

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Where could i find more info on the Vitamin E and fish oil?
What kind of info are you looking for? Are you wanting to supplement with it?

Usually vitamin E and fish oil is given for skin and coat health. We give all of our dogs these supplements on a regular basis, but its more just a treat for them.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just looking for general info. Like, what its used for, how it works. Mostly just the basic info that someone would want to educate themselves with before deciding whether or not they want to use it.

Jeremy

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Just looking for general info. Like, what its used for, how it works. Mostly just the basic info that someone would want to educate themselves with before deciding whether or not they want to use it.

Jeremy
Inflammation relief and heart health are some other main reasons why people use it for supplememtation. Fish oil works by containing omega 3 fatty acids (EPA and DHA) that are good for replenishing dry skin and relieving inflammation.

Its definitely one of the supplements I would recommend to give your dogs, or even take yourself, especially if your dog's diet is low in grass fed or wild game meats (which naturally contain omega 3's). Fish oil is rich in omega's because they eat algea that is high in concentration of them, they don't actually produce the oil themselves.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Gee, do any of you guys who have the dogs with arthritis so bad have a water therapy pool for dogs in your area? It works wonders with dogs who have mobility issues.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks DaneMama08, I will defenitly look into it more. Anything to make my Dogs happy and heathy is worth it.

whiteleo, We dont have a pool for dogs around here but i was just talking to my girlfriend about that this morning. We live right on the beach. The beach is really just a bay that goes into the ocean but the bay water is very calm, especially since the part we live next to has a very nice little cove that normaly stays about as flat a lake on a clam day. Any ways i always try to get our GSD cammy to swim in it. She will follow these 2 black labs into the water until she is chest deep and gets that floaty feeling and then she stops. Maybe this summer i'll go in with her so she knows its ok. I think it would be very good excercise for her and very low impact.

Jeremy

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts