Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Dan from Denver. Thanks to all for the great info on this site. I got my first dog ever about three months ago. Cassie is a year old black lab mix rescue dog. I never realized the profound positive influence a dog can have on a person. They will cheer you up, make you laugh, and keep you active. Now that I have a dog, I can't imagine living without one. Truly "man's best friend". I am on a quest to find the perfect diet for her and this website has been an excellent tool to get me started.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I think the combo of the raw chicken with the new kibble with the new home, new people, new everything is probably what caused the loose stools, not the raw chicken. You were right the first time, raw chicken is the best thing your dog could be eating, especially if it's between that or kibble!

I'd suggest finishing up the kibble you have now and giving the raw a try again,only this time do just raw food, no kibble. That should really help firm up stools!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your response. I may revisit the raw chicken diet in the future. I had also given her raw pork once a day before trying the chicken, and she had no issues with the pork. I agree that fresh meat is better than kibble, but I'm undecided on whether to revisit raw or go cooked. If raw is best, then cooked meat is second best, still much better than kibble, imo.

L

·
0 Posts
If raw is best, then cooked meat is second best, still much better than kibble, imo.

Welcome, Dan, nice having you here. I'm glad you rescued a black lab mix, I think they are the best! I believe that cooked meat is fine as long as you add a probiotic supplement (such as Prozyme) to the food. Cooking destroys enzymes, and the Prozyme will ensure that your dog is getting the needed digestive enzymes which will aid in not only digestion but will help maintain overall good health.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hi Dan. Welcome to the community. You will find lots of differing opinions here and learn lots about nutrition. Me... I'm a kibble feeder.:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
welcome

Hi Dan from Denver!
Love black labs no matter what they are mixed with!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:biggrin:

Have a fun time on the sight!

Any top quality food is a good choice!
I feed mine right now california natural~ wellness supermix five`
I have done other ones but this is my current ones. I am going to invest in EVO the chicken small bites one~(by the way I have one yellow and one chocolate lab) (2 other pups) and I know Orijen is a great food but have to get a few more dollars in the wallet for these last two!
Have fun here and enjoy the ride!:wink:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts