Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello community, My name is James and always been interested in seeking new online friends to gain more knowledge on dog's health and nutrition. I have two pitbulls, one purbread and the other is more ridgeback than pit. I got a genetic test done on her. first year of their lives they were on blue buffalo not because I thought kibble was better, but being ignorant a couple years ago about feeding Raw propelled me to stay on the conservative choice. One day just over a year ago I just switched cold turkey on Raw food as I did enough research finally for proper amount of food. Never going back to kibble ever again. 1 full year, weight stayed the same and all blood work came out perfect. Just wanted to say Hi, and will be asking for advice from all you experience raw feeders in the country.

P.S if any does have a ridgeback, what do you do with your dog for cool outdoor activities. I always had pits and rasied them at pups, but Hazel is my first rescue and once i found out she was ridge-back and did research, I fell in love with there backround and of course their personalities. Found out they would hunt lions, and are fearless, which is right on the mark because my dog literally has no fear with animals, (not that she is aggressive at all!), but her major flaw which I think comes from instincts due to her breed, is at night she would chase any little rabbit or squirrel and will stick her nose to the ground and hunt. Wondering what kind of activities i could do to break her boredom mentally not physically.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Have you tried hiding treats all over the living room? High and low? Thats what I do with my older dog who has a great sense of smell. What about having 3 containers and hiding treats in one of them and getting her to indicate which one it's in? There's a lot of scent games which will exercise the mind.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The white with brown spots is Brooklyn. I had her since she was 6 weeks old. Very intelligent dog right from the start. Follows me without leash without being farther than 2-3 yeards on command. directional movements on command. Loves to play fetch and always bullying my other non dominate dog hazel. She is the alpha dog for sure. When Hazel (brown ridgeback mix) is laying down, Brooklyn will tug on her collar to drag her off couch to wrestle and have a play session. haha

Hazel is my other dog. She is lazy and a window watcher. All she cares about is her 45 min daily walk and sun bathes by my balcony during the evening. Big social butterrfly and a natural hunter especially at night. You see her ridgeback in her. have rabbits where I live and all she does is shove her nose in the ground and starts to hunt. She could see a small moving object/animal in darkness in long distances. been trying to event some mind stimuli games for her in part of her training

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea I am going to start doing that. I did those games for my first pit back where I grew up in New jersey. I always had pitbulls so I have a lot of experience with them, Once i rescued Hazel, I never owned a ridgeback and my training methods needed some fine tuning for this type of breed. I was definitely ignorant on these smart and fearless dogs. She is overall a very well trained dog. Her mentality is easily distracted so conventional training doesn't cut it for her. After doing research on these awesome breeds, They say they are easily distracted and needed mental stimuli, which I have been doing. We will see after doing 3-4 5-10 minute sessions daily will improve her focus and maybe get some new tricks in!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts