Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 standard poodles. A 3 year old boy and a recent addition, 18 month old girl. They are awesome, mazing actually --especially with my 3 year old son. I came across this site when thinking about changing my dogs' food. Just thought I would say hi!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Everyone

Hi & thanks for the messages. Right now, they are eating nutri choice chicken & rice, but I am starting to have my doubts after doing some research. I will continue searching and hopefully have an answer by the time I run out of food in a few days. . .

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
Hi & thanks for the messages. Right now, they are eating nutri choice chicken & rice, but I am starting to have my doubts after doing some research. I will continue searching and hopefully have an answer by the time I run out of food in a few days. . .
i too used to feed nutro products. my shih tzus and my corgi mix were fed natural choice lamb and rice for most of their lives.

i can only speak anecdotally...i have no science to back me up, but three out of my four shih tzus had liver enzymes that were through the roof. they were not on medication that would affect their livers, nor were they related.

nutro uses menadione, which is a synthetic form of vitamin k3...and has been very controversial....

i cannot help but think, had i realised this.....and i know it's not rational thinking...but i really do believe that this ingredient helped to shorten their lives. none of them made it to even fourteen and all were in reasonably good health throughout their lives....

also, nutro uses soy....another controversial ingredient....and since i don't eat american soy, neither do my dogs....again, it's anecdotal at best.

my feeling on the subject of these ingredients is....until the science proves one way or the other whether or not these two ingredients are ok or not okay...then it behooves me to err on the side of caution.

i also noted that when i stopped using nutro products and this was before i went to raw.....my dogs looked and acted better....at that point, we were using wellness super five lamb/barley/salmon + missing link + salmon oil caps....and my corgi mix, who is black....looked so much better....

it's so good that you are researching......to love your animals that much means a lot....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks on Nutro

Thanks for the Nutro info. Just confirms my suspicions of it not being the best food out there. Why wait until there are problems if there are already controversial ingredients out there; ya know? Not a big soy fan either!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Hi...

Yay another spoo!!!!! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts