Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is exciting to have the opportunity to talk to people that are knowlegable and can help improve the life of our animals.
I own a black lab, and two cats. I have always fed my animals Purina. Does anyone have an opinion about Purina? :smile:

·
Banned
493 Posts
To be quite honest with you, Purina is one of the worst foods you can feed your pets. It is full of byproducts, harmful preservatives, artificial fillers, etc. Nothing about this food is good.

Many of us here on the forum choose to feed our dogs a raw diet, consisting of fresh raw meat, raw organ meat, and raw bones, which closely represents what a dog/wolf would consume in the wild. I highly suggest you consider this method of feeding. For more information on a raw diet, I encourage you to search through the archives here, and check out some of the links below;

www.rawlearning.com

Raw Fed Dogs

Skylar, Zack, and Abby on the WEB

I you decide not to feed raw for some reason or another, the next best thing is a home cooked diet, consisting of things like cooked meat, rice, vegetables, and supplements. For more info on home cooked diets, search the archives here, and also check out the following links;

Homemade Dog Food Facts, Recipes, and Information

www.gourmetsleuth.com/Articles/Homemade-640/dog-food-recipes.aspx

Homemade Pet Food ? Homemade Dog Food ? Homemade Cat Food ? Holistic Health Care Information For Dog and Cats ? Your Best Online Guide :)

If you decide you don't have time for a home cooked diet, I'd suggest going with a high quality, grain-free kibble. Below are a list of some of the best kibble;

EVO

Origin

Taste Of The Wild

Solid Gold

Instinct

Wellness CORE

Felidae Grain-Free Formula

Timberwolf Organics

Canidae Grain-Free Formula

Among Others

If for some reason grain-free foods don't work out for your pets or your wallet, as they can be quite pricey at times, I'd recommend these less expensive pet foods which have grains in them, although quality ingredients throughout;

Innova

California Natural

Wellness

AvoDerm

Chicken Soup For The Pet Lover's Soul

Natural Balance

Newman's Own Organics

Merrick

Among Others

If those are still too expensive for you, consider these following pet foods which aren't the best foods, but much better than Purina for a similar price;

Premium Edge

Fromm

Diamond Naturals

Healthwise

Among Others

If possible, try to feed your pets wet/canned food when at all possible, for it more closely resembles what they would consume in the wild.

*Also, even if you decide to feed a kibble diet, it's still great to supplement your pet's diet with some fresh sardines, tuna, raw meaty bones, etc.

Good luck!:smile:

·
Banned
493 Posts
Also, just to give you an idea of how bad Purina really is, here is a list I personally typed up of the ingredients and most of their definitions found in canned cat food, which generally preserves better than dry food;

Water sufficient for processing, fish, poultry, meat by-products, wheat gluten, tuna, soy flour, natural and artificial flavors, corn starch-modified, potassium chloride, xanthan gum, titanium dioxide color, salt, carrageenan, taurine, tricalcium phosphate, iron oxide, Vitamin E supplement, sodium nitrite (to promote color retention), thiamine mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, Vitamin A supplement, copper sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), dicalcium phosphate, niacin, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement (Vitamin B-2), cobalt carbonate, Vitamin D-3 supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), folic acid, potassium iodide, biotin. A-5204

meat by-products: The non-rendered, clean parts, other than meat, derived from slaughtered mammals. It includes, but is not limited to, lungs, spleen, kidneys, brain, livers, blood, bone, partially defatted low temperature fatty tissue, and stomachs and intestines freed of their contents. It does not include hair, horns, teeth and hoofs. It shall be suitable for use in animal food. If it bears name descriptive of its kind, it must correspond thereto.

Wheat Gluten: a protein substance that remains when starch is removed from cereal grains; gives cohesiveness to dough

Soy Flour: finely ground soybeans, most commonly used as an additive to other flours, processed meats, cereals, etc.

Artificial Flavors: any substance created artificially to flavor food products

corn starch: a fine, granular or powdery starch made from corn: used in cooking and to make corn sugar, corn syrup, etc.

potassium chloride: A colorless crystalline solid or powder, KCl, used widely in fertilizers and in the preparation of most potassium compounds. Also called potash muriate, potassium muriate.

xanthan gum: A natural gum of high molecular weight produced by culture fermentation of glucose and used as a stabilizer in commercial food preparation.

titanium dioxide color: A white powder, TiO2, used as an exceptionally opaque white pigment.

carrageenan: Any of a group of closely related colloids derived from Irish moss and several other red algae, widely used as a thickening, stabilizing, emulsifying, or suspending agent in industrial, pharmaceutical, and food products.

iron oxide: Any of various oxides of iron, such as ferric oxide or ferrous oxide.

sodium nitrite: A fire-hazardous, air-sensitive, yellowish powder, soluble in water; decomposes above 320°C; used as an intermediate for dyestuffs and for pickling meat, textiles dyeing, and rust-proofing, and in medicine.

ferrous sulfate: A greenish crystalline compound, FeSO4·7H2O, used as a pigment, fertilizer, and feed additive, in sewage and water treatment, and as a medicine in the treatment of iron deficiency. Also called copperas.

zinc sulfate: a colorless, crystalline powder, ZnSO·7HO, used as an emetic in medicine, as a mordant in dyeing, etc.

manganese sulfate: a pink, water-soluble, usually tetrahydrate salt, MnSO4·4H2O, used chiefly in fertilizers, paints, and varnishes.

copper sulfate: A poisonous blue crystalline copper salt, CuSO4·5H2O, used in agriculture, textile dyeing, leather treatment, electroplating, and the manufacture of germicides.

niacin: A white crystalline acid, C5H4NCOOH, that is a component of the vitamin B complex found in meat, wheat germ, dairy products, and yeast and is used to treat and prevent pellagra. Also called nicotinic acid.

cobalt carbonate: A hard, brittle metallic element, found associated with nickel, silver, lead, copper, and iron ores and resembling nickel and iron in appearance. It is used chiefly for magnetic alloys, high-temperature alloys, and in the form of its salts for blue glass and ceramic pigments.

potassium iodide: a transparent, crystalline salt, KI, available also as a white, granular powder, used as a feed additive and in medicine, photography, etc.:eek:

L

·
0 Posts
This is exciting to have the opportunity to talk to people that are knowlegable and can help improve the life of our animals.
I own a black lab, and two cats. I have always fed my animals Purina. Does anyone have an opinion about Purina? :smile:
Welcome to the Forum! I have a yellow Lab (but no cats, instead we have a trio of female guinea pigs).

I'm sure you'll find much better quality kibble than Purina once you've been on the boards for a while. As Todd mentioned above, there's a lot for you to consider! Happy exploring and learning!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:confused::frown: Well that sure is scary stuff! Thank you both for telling me. I will definately read more about this raw diet and learn more.:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum!
You will learn alot obout great things to feed your pup!

As for Purina thats not a great thing! Look at your ingredient list and you will see why! Bad Dog Food:

I just posted to another person~to go here!

Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble

lots of great choices with foods on this sight!

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Welcome, welcome, welcome!
You definately came to the right place to learn more about nutrition and the horrors of purina, hills, and iams. We all start somewhere so don't hesitate to jump right in to discussions.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I'm glad you joined! My pets all used to be on Purina as well but I learned a few years ago that it is actually not a good food at all so I'd definitely recommend looking into something much more high quality. Feel free to jump on in!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts