Dog Food Chat banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
To me $400 sounds pretty routine, maybe a bit on the high side, for going to a regular vet. Most likely he had bloodwork and such done which is more than just plain surgical time. They can justify charging extra for a bigger dog because they do require more in terms of injections and anethesia, not to mention the surgery takes longer the bigger the dog. That is why it's always recommended to get dogs spayed/neutered early.

Look for a low cost clinic in your area if you just want a good deal on her spay. They often do have spay/neuter clinics that you don't have to be approved to take advantage of, in other words they are open to the public. Usually they will charge about $100-$150 for a large dog like yours. They can charge so much less because they get grants from the local government to help cover costs. I interned at one for about a year and a half in the spay neuter ward. I will say that your dog will just be a face in the crowd in this situation rather than having the one on one attention she would get at a normal vet.

Are you wanting to find a new vet for other things other than her spay? I can give you some pointers there if you would like...

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.