Dog Food Chat banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
This is the Holistic Alternatives and Remedies Section.
This is the section to ask questions about holistic alternatives and remedies... and to suggest holistic alternatives and remedies to those asking.
If you have no suggestions on Holistic Alternatives and Remedies, please do not post here. If the OP wanted advice on or to discuss conventional medicine surely they would have posted there.

WHY am I having to tell the SAME people over and over again to keep to the applied sections?
who are you referring to?

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Let me act like you for a moment.
.WRONG.
An infected mosquito must bite a dog, inject the larva; bite the dog again and pick up the larva and incubate it, then bite a dog again to inject the matured worm. Only that worm can travel through the bloodstream and enter the heart.

So NO, all dogs bitten by infected mosquito will NOT be 100% guaranteed to be infected. New larva cannot survive in the dog. It will be killed before it can reach maturity.
Also, the temperature it needs to remain outside for I think 30 days and nights straight to allow for the full cycle is highly unlikely in much of the US.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
If there's on thing in life I've learned we all feel/do things based on strong convictions and if I'd been through treating a dog with heartworms I might think/feel different. Unfortunately, I was on the end where damage was done due to a toxin so I base my feelings on that. You know more about your dog and their heath than anyone else.. I haven't dealt with a dog who had heartworms or weak immuned systems so again I might handle it differently.

Everyone should do what they're comfortable with after they have assessed the situation and researched the pros/cons of what that situation may be. And I'm glad you switched to the ethically raised stuff and I bet your pup appreciates it! And nobody should tell someone to use or not use a drug, but rather explain why you would or wouldn't so the person can see where you're coming from. And we should all be open to different methods as one might come along that works better for our pups than what we had been doing.
Well said, both sheltie lover and tem_sat...

I ended up feeding Murph raw because of a nasty reaction to his first and only rabies vaccine that wrecked his immune system.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
This is the Holistic Alternatives and Remedies Section.
This is the section to ask questions about holistic alternatives and remedies... and to suggest holistic alternatives and remedies to those asking.
If you have no suggestions on Holistic Alternatives and Remedies, please do not post here. If the OP wanted advice on or to discuss conventional medicine surely they would have posted there.

WHY am I having to tell the SAME people over and over again to keep to the applied sections?
I was wondering exactly the same thing.

Reactions: Liz and RiverRun

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'd like to just make a comment on heartworm. I've worked in an animal shelter for almost 3 years. I would say 80-90% of the dogs surrendered to us were NOT on monthly preventative (heck, most of them had never even stepped into a vets office), and of the thousands of dogs that we have gotten, only 2 tested positive for heartworm. One of them ended up having cancer, and the other was a very old, blind dog. These dogs were not the dogs kept outside year round, they were mostly indoor dogs who only went out for walks and potty breaks. I think its safe to say a dogs immune system plays a very large part in whether or not they become infected with heartworm. And I wouldn't say Massachusetts has a low incidence of heartworm, especially southeastern MA. Maybe moderate to lower high range.

As for alternative methods to treat HW, I haven't used any myself. The only ones I've heard of were Heartworm Free, Black walnut and paratox.

·
Registered
563 Posts
...and of the thousands of dogs that we have gotten, only 2 tested positive for heartworm.
It's not uncommon for a dog to test negative and then end up HW+. My own pet tested negative for HW when he arrived at the shelter. 6 months later he tested positive (less than 1 week after I adopted him).

For further info about the accuracy of testing, see: American Heartworm Society | Canine Heartworm

·
Registered
778 Posts
There are none. Listen to a licensed, experienced Dr. Let that person handle it.

As far as prevention, the cost of Heartguard is largely to blame for people not using ivermectin. I switched years ago to liquid ivermectin and paste. You don't have to buy paste in large quantities so for a person with one or two larger dogs it makes sense, assuming the dog is not a breed that is sensitive to ivermectin.

dangerous. dangerous. dangerous.

·
Registered
28 Posts
but I've never heard of a healthy, well-cared for dog getting them, and if there have been cases, they're certainly not the norm..
I don't know about anyone else but this is enough proof for me. You've never heard of healthy, well-cared for dogs getting HW = I'm stopping my HWP on my dog immediately because he is otherwise healthy and def. taken care of.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
As our moderator stated "This is the Holistic Alternatives and Remedies Section.

WHY am I having to tell the SAME people over and over again to keep to the applied sections?"

Your commentary was in the wrong section as we are not discussing allopathic medicine.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
As our moderator stated "This is the Holistic Alternatives and Remedies Section.

WHY am I having to tell the SAME people over and over again to keep to the applied sections?"

Your commentary was in the wrong section as we are not discussing allopathic medicine.

Yes. Thank you for quoting Liz.

If you don't agree with someone, keep the snarky comments to yourself, please.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Sort of smells suspicously like MD? Just a thought that crossed my mind......

41 - 54 of 54 Posts