Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been talking to my husband for a while now about switching to a raw diet for the dogs. I've bookmarked pages and had him read sections on this forum. Still no bite. He still claims it will be too expensive compared to dog food and that it will take away from our freezer space. Usually I'm very good at getting my way with him...What other interesting points can I make? I've told him the health side of it, cost, space, etc. And still nothing.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've been talking to my husband for a while now about switching to a raw diet for the dogs. I've bookmarked pages and had him read sections on this forum. Still no bite. He still claims it will be too expensive compared to dog food and that it will take away from our freezer space. Usually I'm very good at getting my way with him...What other interesting points can I make? I've told him the health side of it, cost, space, etc. And still nothing.
I use ONE shelf in my freezer. I just buy food for the pup when I'm grocery shopping for myself. Then I buy walmart brand freezer ziplocs and seperate everything into meals for him and put them on ONE shelf.. I averaged my cost for kibble and I was spending roughly $1.35/lbs. for dry kibble. I'm new to this and haven't found any great deals to jump on, but i can't complain. I get RAW chicken quarters, backs and liver and I'm averaging about $0.95/lbs. Grocery bought raw food is STILL cheaper than the kibble, and that's not including anything that goes on sale throughout the week. Other than all that, my dog LOVES his chicken. He is heaven for 2 hours a day while he gnaws on his chicken quarters. He'll lick on it for 10, chew for 5, lick for 10, chew for 5. Then he pulls the bone out of it and eats it, then continues with the meat. He has a hay day every night. I dunno what else to say to help out. It just WORKS! hehe. Keep fighting!! :biggrin:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL I am definitely going to keep fighting on this because RFD, ranmiller, and everyone else, including a newbie-raw like yourself, has me so hooked on wanting to do this! I'm sure I can convince him but it's like training China. Everything takes time. LOL. Would chicken from Krogers be ok? They always have meat on sale. Two for one and stuff like that. We eat it, so is it ok for our dogs to eat?

·
Registered
241 Posts
LOL I am definitely going to keep fighting on this because RFD, ranmiller, and everyone else, including a newbie-raw like yourself, has me so hooked on wanting to do this! I'm sure I can convince him but it's like training China. Everything takes time. LOL. Would chicken from Krogers be ok? They always have meat on sale. Two for one and stuff like that. We eat it, so is it ok for our dogs to eat?
Of course. Just about all grocery stores have the same quality in meats. I will probably be fought on this, but it's true. Unless you're buying organic, every store's meat product is similar to the next. I used to live in Houston where there was a Krogers, and we shopped there a lot for our own food. I go to walmart and find the cheapest chicken I can find when I buy meat. As long as it's in our store, there's a good chance it's healthy :smile:

Just remind your husband that you shouldn't bash anything until you try it.. that way you can at least hold the argument "we tried it and it didn't work." heh. Tell him a one month trial. He'll notice the the dogs no longer smell like dogs and they can lick your face w/o you smelling like dog breath the rest of the day hehe :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Tell him the average cost of a dental cleaning by a veterinarian is around $400, and that's if your pet doesn't need anything else like a tooth extraction or some other type of oral surgery. Then tell him that raw food naturally cleans the dog's teeth as they eat it so you'll never need those procedures so you'll be saving that much money right off the bat.

Postal made some very good points, the cost of feeding raw is still way cheaper than feeding kibble. Factor that in with the added convenience that you can just get it while you're shopping, and have it only take up one shelf in your freezer like I do (and Postal does, apparently), and the fact that their poop cleans itself up, the dog breath goes away, the health problems go away, the shedding decreases, and the dogs are happier and healthier. Come on, it's a no-brainer!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah well him and change take a lot of discussing. I'm going to show him this thread too lol

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Too Bad So Sad!

I am going to buy a big bag of chicken quarters when I go out this week and start feeding the dogs raw! WISH ME LUCK. I am nervous. Hubby don't want me to do it but he will see the change himself and I don't care!!! NO MORE KIBBLE!!! *repeat* NO MORE KIBBLE!!!!

I am so excited...Nervous. I'm going to get lots of pictures so instead of posting them here I may just make a dropshots account and link it. *woooooooooooh! I know they'll love it =)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Awesome!! Your husband is gonna think you swapped out your dogs for new ones! heh. But seriously, that's great! :biggrin: Your dogs are going to LOVE it..

And I learned from RFD, if your dogs don't take immediate interest in it, it's normal. It's a new thing to them. What I did was pulled out an iron skillet, got it SEARING hot and threw the quarter on for about 5 seconds each side. This does just enough to create flavor they recognize, and this will introduce them to the raw meat underneath.. then when they get to the bone is when they get all giddy heh.

Day 2 you shouldn't have to sear it, I didn't. He remembered what it was and went to town.

Good luck, and you'll love the pictures. There's nothing like watching them enjoy their food so much that they ignore everything else around them :smile:

Welcome to RAW :biggrin:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am so excited! I've been contemplating it for such a long time now (since I joined the forum) and I'm tired of arguing with him and showing him the facts that you, RFD, ranmiller, and others have provided here. I CANT WAIT!!! Friday cannot come fast enough =)

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Hahaha yay! Congratulations, I'm excited for you too! Your hubby will like it as soon as he sees the dog so happy and enjoying themselves. Tell him it's just a trial period and if it doesn't work out then no harm done. That way he doesn't think you've completely disregarded his feelings on the matter :biggrin:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts