Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So grissom eats poop, but apparently liver is the most terrible thing he's ever had in his life. With time he got used to the raw eggs, but I've tried liver a few times, and it's always been a no go. He takes one nibble, spits it out, and backs away.
This morning, I put a tiny bit of raw garlic all over it, and he devoured it.
Just a tip, I know some others have a tough time getting the dogs to eat liver. I didn't use a lot, just a little bit.
But some believe garlic to be totally toxic. I don't buy that, so I am comfortable feeding it in small amounts. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
So grissom eats poop, but apparently liver is the most terrible thing he's ever had in his life. With time he got used to the raw eggs, but I've tried liver a few times, and it's always been a no go. He takes one nibble, spits it out, and backs away.
This morning, I put a tiny bit of raw garlic all over it, and he devoured it.
Just a tip, I know some others have a tough time getting the dogs to eat liver. I didn't use a lot, just a little bit.
But some believe garlic to be totally toxic. I don't buy that, so I am comfortable feeding it in small amounts. :rolleyes:
I have known dog owners that mix small amounts of garlic to their pups in the food their whole lives, and the dogs live to be old. No negative effects along the way... :smile:

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have known dog owners that mix small amounts of garlic to their pups in the food their whole lives, and the dogs live to be old. No negative effects along the way... :smile:
Yeah, I feel that in small amounts it has benefits, but I know a lot of people feel otherwise, so the tip wouldn't be for them.
I am comfortable with it, and yes, perhaps it's giving into a "picky eater" but whatever. It worked, and I am more satisfied with putting a little garlic on it than I would be stuffing it down his throat, which a lot of people have to do because the dog doesn't like organ meat.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
We will definitely try this one...I mean don't get me wrong, we don't mind shoving organ meat down the throats of our dogs...but if we could get them to enjoy it that would be ideal

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We will definitely try this one...I mean don't get me wrong, we don't mind shoving organ meat down the throats of our dogs...but if we could get them to enjoy it that would be ideal
Yeah, I was totally ready to stuff it down his throat, but I used the garlic trick to get him to eat egg, so thought I'd try it first, and it worked like a charm.
I was able to wean the garlic out with eggs, and now he eats them fine, so maybe we'll have the same result with liver. I don't mind a little ra garlic being a regular thing for him though, so I'm satisfied either way.:biggrin:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I didn't use a lot, just a little bit.
My dogs aren't at all picky, but I am thinking of adding a bit of garlic as a natural flea repellent. How much do you give? Mine are each between 35-40 pounds.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My dogs aren't at all picky, but I am thinking of adding a bit of garlic as a natural flea repellent. How much do you give? Mine are each between 35-40 pounds.

Thanks!
I haven't measured amounts or anything, I was just shoving a little bit of the clove in the liver to get him to eat it.
I don't know how much you use for it to serve as a repellent.
IO'm sure someone has experience on using it for fleas... hope they will chime in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts