1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Mercola products are usually really good quality. Watch that you don't end up with a Hertz product by the same name.
\

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the heads up. I added a second link on there too. Its a ultrasonic tick collar tag...im tempted to buy it just to see. The reviews I found on the internet were mixed, love/hate. It either worked, or it didn't; there was no in between. I am willing to try anything at this point. I pull off at least 5 ticks a day out of my 3 dogs.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Someone else just bought a tick tag and they will post when they try it to see if it works or not. I will let you know when they post about it. :)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wonderful, thanks! I may go ahead and purchase one just to see. I found one on amazon.com that isn't too much $. Since I have three dogs, I want to try three different products and see what works and doesn't work. I'm hoping the tag works though because a friend of mine wanted me to test out a new product, She owns a natural pet store and my aussie is spastic/insane, so she gave me these new mood stabilizer treats to try; I gave them to
my little chihuahua girl too and that night she had some sort of strange seizure. I can only guess that it must have been linked to that treat....so I am a bit nervous about putting on/giving her anything else.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
okay, I went ahead and purchased this, to try on my lab
Amazon.com: Insect Repellent for Dogs - Pure Natural - Fleas, Ticks Gone - 0.5 oz: Everything Else
and this, to try on my aussie(since she is long hair)
Amazon.com: shoo!TAG Flea and Tick Barrier Tag for Dogs, 2 Tags: Pet Supplies

..now Im eager for them to deliver so I can try them out. I will keep y'all updated on this and let y'all know if I have any success. . I really must find something soon, there is a lot of lyme disease popping up around here.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've been using the Mercola product spray on my dogs this past summer. I need to re-apply it more often than I had hoped. Daily or every other day. I go over them with a flea comb on a regular basis and alas, I always seem to find a flea or three. And we have found a few ticks also. I probably won't reorder it.

On the up side, it makes the dogs smell really nice, citrus-cinnamon scent. And the tick sticks that came with it are super nice. They work really well. It's nice to have the small one and the tiny one as when one doesn't fit the size of the tick, the other one will.

My husband is lazy.......just wants to put something on once a month and not have to think about it until next month. He is always telling me I need to just go get some topical chemicals for them. Just doesn't understand, "i. will. not. put. toxic. chemicals. on. them."

So although I am still searching for the perfect natural (less toxic) alternative, the Mercola product will suffice, and I love the tick sticks. The flea comb, a bowl of water with a little soap in it to drown the little monsters, and a regular routine of "flea check time" is what I'm doing now.

Please keep us posted on your results with the products you are trying. I don't mind spending the $$ if I know others are having success. And best of luck to you and your pups that these things work for you.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your review on that product. I read on a few reviews that it caused some burning on the pets' skin, so that made me decide not to purchase it. I am more than willing to spend the money(if I have it lol) to try things with a 50/50 chance of working without causing harm to my pets. Worth a try, right? Plus, it's a bit fun for me too, doing my own little experiments. lol

·
Registered
989 Posts
I have been using a supplement I got from wolf creek ranch, a holistic site, its called flea free, I put it in the water, very little, it seems to work no ticks picked up and haven't seen a flea yet.
I tried garlic granular also but it didn't seem to work as well.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Someone else just bought a tick tag and they will post when they try it to see if it works or not. I will let you know when they post about it. :)
That would be me! My dog has been wearing it for about two weeks now, but I have been away the whole time. I ask my honey every day to check him, and he hasn't had any ticks on him so far. We are in the height of tick season, being spring in Australia. I also feed garlic daily, and ACV when I'm home, so I don't know which one is working, but something definitely is because the horses have an incredible number of ticks, and Dobby has none.

However, I have not heard very good things about the shooTags. The one I got a skudo brand (can't link easily from my iPad), and seemed to have good reviews. It was about $80 AUD, but if it saves my dog going down with a paralysis tick i would have happily paid triple that. I will keep posting as we get further into tick season.

Reactions: RiverRun and Chocx2

·
Registered
96 Posts
Chocx2, good to know the flea free is helping. I am going to give it a try as well. I've been researching it and think it will be worth a go.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I also think it does wonders for their coat I also saw my girls coat look better than normal also? Good Luck

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That would be me! My dog has been wearing it for about two weeks now, but I have been away the whole time. I ask my honey every day to check him, and he hasn't had any ticks on him so far. We are in the height of tick season, being spring in Australia. I also feed garlic daily, and ACV when I'm home, so I don't know which one is working, but something definitely is because the horses have an incredible number of ticks, and Dobby has none.

However, I have not heard very good things about the shooTags. The one I got a skudo brand (can't link easily from my iPad), and seemed to have good reviews. It was about $80 AUD, but if it saves my dog going down with a paralysis tick i would have happily paid triple that. I will keep posting as we get further into tick season.
YES! Please keep me updated! I also do not mind spending the money if it is something that actually works. I have also read some bad reviews on Shootag, but I figured it was worth a shot since I was ordering something else from amazon at the moment anyway. Im weird about buying a only 1 item from a bunch of different websites. Maybe it's because I feed raw and I am use to ordering in bulk ;)

Plus, I gotta find something super fast or I may just have to get an application or two of the 'bad stuff'. I have pulled almost 8 ticks of my aussie girl TODAY! In ONE day! geez... these ticks are just getting worse!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Well, I am back in AUS now, and no ticks to be found on my little dog. It's still only spring, but the vet I drove past today had a sign out front that said they'ce had 10 paralysis tick cases so far THIS WEEK. And that's in town. I live out in a rural area, on a farm, and no ticks yet.

Again, I don't know what it is that's working, but something seems to be. The tag certainly gives me peace of mind, although I still check him daily, I haven't found any. I will try to keep updating as summer progresses.

·
Registered
96 Posts
creek, thanks for the update. I got a chance to check out the tags. They look like a good choice. Wow, ten tick paralysis cases per week!! Poor doggies. Sounds like your area is a good testing ground for them. Hoping they continue to work well for Dobbie.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Thanks - no ticks still, but I found two fleas on him this morning. UGH. He is now totally covered in DE, and hopefully they will go away =\

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just received my dogs' shooTags and their natural flea/tick rub yesterday. I put both tags on my two big girls and rubbed all four girls with the natural oils......but, I have not seen a single tick this entire week. We had a freeze last weekend, so I am wondering if that is the cause behind the sudden disappearance.

creek, I am very excited to hear that you are having luck! Please do continue to keep us updated!

Reactions: creek817

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Advantix is deadly to cats. Honestly, all topical products that the vets sell for fleas/ticks are somewhat deadly in their own way because of their long term effects.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts