Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pumpers! Naturally baked pork heart - BULK-Treats by the Case

My dogs love the porky pumpers I buy them at my pet food store, but they are almost $5 and they don't last my dogs very long.

I thought about trying to make them myself (I also found them online for $1.99) but still am interested in trying to make them if I can find a supplier that sells hearts.

Anyone know how they are made? Dehydrated or baked? For how long..etc.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I can't get the sight to work. But it say's baked, so one would think then there baked. Just cut any heart in pieces and put in a low oven. I'd turn them and then just cook till how ever hard you want. I would store them in the frig. I do liver this way and should try some heart. I would like to get a dehydrater I think it will work even better.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any idea on how long I'd have to bake them and at what temperature? I don't do much cooking,lol

·
Registered
319 Posts
Put the hearts (or really whatever meat you want, even sweet potato!) in the oven on a baking sheet at the lowest temp it will go. Mine goes to 170 F so I went with that. Baking them will take several hours. They dry out pretty slowly so it isn't something you need to have your eye on.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
At looks like dehydrated heart... A dehydrator would work best, more energy efficient as well, but in a pinch oven as low as it will go, leave it cracked just a hair.. That way you aren't truly baking but dehydrating as well. Ay heart will do, beef heart is easy to come by, pork heart is a bit harder. 6-8 hours depending on thickness and slices would be about the amount of time you're looking at... You can see why the oven would be inefficient on your elec bill lol

Reactions: DDBsR4Me and Herzo

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Yep mine will only go down to 170 also. I have been in a hurry so I have just been cooking liver on the stove so I can't remember how long it would take a few hours. Like Tobi say's it is not as efficient as a dehydrator would be but it will work in a pinch.

It will also make a difference in how thick you cut them. Have it partly frozen then you can cut them thinner.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. I think I may look into getting a dehydrator. Maybe a friend or family member has one I can borrow to try it out and see if it works first.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Wow! Your tips and instructions would surely help. Thanks guys!
This thread is three years old, and I don't think any of these people are even here anymore...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts