Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried giving Owen a turkey back for the last 3 days and he only licks it. It has been cold and rainy lately and he is not allowed to eat inside unless it is in his crate. I also haven't had the time in the morning to sit with him to make sure he is eating. If I wasn't sick and it wasn't so cold and rainy I wouldn't mind waking up earlier to do this. BUT, I have to go to work and at night he just sits there like someone rubbed it in poo first... then again, reading that thread about rolling in poo, maybe he would like it better!! :biggrin: I wanted to see if anyone else has had this, or if anyone knows if I should just give up or keep trying. I have enough food to keep feeding him and I know that his nerves are shot from moving into this new place this past weekend and everything. Should I keep trying for about 15 minutes and then give him something else, or should I just give him time to settle in and then try again? He loves the turkey part. I gave him a leg today and he ate it like he hadn't eaten in weeks! (Thats what he does when he eats most of his meals. That is normal for him;). ) I have never fed backs to him before and I figured that he just doesn't know what he is supposed to do with it.
Any suggestions would be great. Thanks! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Maybe the back is too big for him to figure it out just yet? I know bull terriers aren't the largest dogs around and turkey backs can get pretty big. I'd say put it away for a bit and just let him eat what he's used to while he settles into your new place (congrats on that by the way!). Maybe break the back in half and try it again in a week and see what he does with it. Then you can start the "my way or the highway" tactic with him if he tries to be picky about it after that.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
NOW!! I am having problems with feeding pork. Everytime that I give Owen pork, he ends up throwing up within an hour. And, how important is beef to his diet? He won't eat anything from a cow!... Except the pizzle stick!;) And even that he throws it around for a while in the yard until it gets to a ripe smell and then he eats it!! :) I still have him on chicken and turkey. He LOVES turkey and likes the chicken a LOT!! :) I know that he knows best, but I can't help but want to put variety in his diet. He also won't touch anything fish except small minnow size fish when given as a treat! I am a little lost as to what to do now!
I have not given him any lamb, deer or any other meats because I wanted to see how he did on some of these others first. He is still of a great size/weight, so I am not worried about that! I guess I will have to stick with the chicken and turkey till I can afford some rabbit, deer, or lamb meat. Any ideas would be great and helpful.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
NOW!! I am having problems with feeding pork. Everytime that I give Owen pork, he ends up throwing up within an hour.
How are you feeding pork and what parts are you feeding?

And, how important is beef to his diet? He won't eat anything from a cow!...
Nothing is critical in the diet but beef is variety and variety is desirable. If you can find beef heart and feed it a little at a time like it was organ, it would be good.

I still have him on chicken and turkey. He LOVES turkey and likes the chicken a LOT!! :) I know that he knows best, but I can't help but want to put variety in his diet.
Don't accept the notion that he knows best. You are the human and you know best.

He also won't touch anything fish except small minnow size fish when given as a treat! I am a little lost as to what to do now!
Have you tried canned salmon or mackerel or sardines?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How are you feeding pork and what parts are you feeding?
I have fed pork chops (no bones) and some pork organs (heart, kidney, liver,) and he had some pork feet for chew things.

Nothing is critical in the diet but beef is variety and variety is desirable. If you can find beef heart and feed it a little at a time like it was organ, it would be good.
He eats beef liver sometimes when I give it to him with an egg. But that is all. I tried the heart by itself and with an egg like the liver and he just pulled it out and... HAHAHA!! He gave it to the neighbor dog!! :rolleyes: I thought it was funny!! :)

Don't accept the notion that he knows best. You are the human and you know best.
I do happen to except the notion that he and my horse know best when it comes to what they need vs what they don't need in their diet. My horse will not eat grain even if offered when there is plenty of grass and my dog does the same thing... with meat and not grass! :wink:
I even do that with my own food. That is why cravings happen. When you crave a burger, you are craving protine. When you crave asparagas, you are craving iron. When you crave carrots, you are craving carotine and vitamine D. When you crave milk, you crave the vitamine A,D and other things in the milk. When you crave potatos, you crave the starch in the potato...... I think you get the idea. That is what our bodys are made for. Not that we always listen to it or give it the best cure for the craving, but our bodys give us hints and it is up to us to listen or not!!! :smile:

Have you tried canned salmon or mackerel or sardines?
He eats the sardine size fish if I use it as a training treat. Other then that he only looks at the fish and then walks away from it. I have done the 'no other food till you eat that' thing and it still doesn't work. He just doesn't like it!!! I have not tried the canned salmon yet. I have a can that my mom gave me, so I will try that this weekend.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I even do that with my own food. That is why cravings happen. When you crave a burger, you are craving protine. When you crave asparagas, you are craving iron. When you crave carrots, you are craving carotine and vitamine D. When you crave milk, you crave the vitamine A,D and other things in the milk. When you crave potatos, you crave the starch in the potato...... I think you get the idea. That is what our bodys are made for. Not that we always listen to it or give it the best cure for the craving, but our bodys give us hints and it is up to us to listen or not!!! :smile:
What does it mean when I'm craving baked goods and sweets? :wink:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I have fed pork chops (no bones) and some pork organs (heart, kidney, liver,) and he had some pork feet for chew things.
Do you feed just the pork chops by themselves or do you feed the organs with them? I'm thinking maybe it was the organs that might have caused him to throw up.

I do happen to except the notion that he and my horse know best when it comes to what they need vs what they don't need in their diet.
Thats how picky eaters are created. Dogs don't have mystical powers to understand nutrition. If they did, we would never get them to eat kibble.

My horse will not eat grain even if offered when there is plenty of grass and my dog does the same thing... with meat and not grass! :wink:
Left to her own choice, my grandaughter won't eat veggies and meat if choclate cake is available. :smile:

Thats a cute story but it has no basis in fact. I have never craved asparagas. I never eat asparagas either. I hate the stuff. I don't crave carrots although I eat them in mixed veggies occasionally. I don't crave milk and don't drink it. I have never craved potatoes. I crave stuff like filet mignon and lobster tails, choc. chip cookies and brownies.

He eats the sardine size fish if I use it as a training treat.
Have you tried actual sardines?

I have done the 'no other food till you eat that' thing and it still doesn't work.
Of course it works. He is just stronger than you are. You need to stand up and take your place as leader of the pack.

He just doesn't like it!!!
It's nice but not important whether he likes it or not. He needs these things and it's your job to see to it that he eats properly. You would not let children determine their diet. Why would you do it with a dog?

I have a can that my mom gave me, so I will try that this weekend.
Cool. :smile:

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I don't feed a lot of lamb, but the co-op sells lamb kidney and liver, I had a really hard time getting the dogs to eat organs in the beginning but someone on here suggested
freezing it and then taking it out and before it's totally defrosted let the dogs eat it. It
really worked well and now they always eat the organs as long as it is somewhat frozen.
So, you might give that a try and see if that helps.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't feed a lot of lamb, but the co-op sells lamb kidney and liver, I had a really hard time getting the dogs to eat organs in the beginning but someone on here suggested
freezing it and then taking it out and before it's totally defrosted let the dogs eat it. It
really worked well and now they always eat the organs as long as it is somewhat frozen.
So, you might give that a try and see if that helps.
:smile: I think I was the one who said that because that is what I do with the organs for him. Otherwise he will let it set in the sun and it will stink really bad. If it is frozen, he eats it right up! :smile:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do you feed just the pork chops by themselves or do you feed the organs with them? I'm thinking maybe it was the organs that might have caused him to throw up.

Thats how picky eaters are created. Dogs don't have mystical powers to understand nutrition. If they did, we would never get them to eat kibble.

Left to her own choice, my grandaughter won't eat veggies and meat if choclate cake is available. :smile:

Thats a cute story but it has no basis in fact. I have never craved asparagas. I never eat asparagas either. I hate the stuff. I don't crave carrots although I eat them in mixed veggies occasionally. I don't crave milk and don't drink it. I have never craved potatoes. I crave stuff like filet mignon and lobster tails, choc. chip cookies and brownies.

Have you tried actual sardines?

Of course it works. He is just stronger than you are. You need to stand up and take your place as leader of the pack.

It's nice but not important whether he likes it or not. He needs these things and it's your job to see to it that he eats properly. You would not let children determine their diet. Why would you do it with a dog?

Cool. :smile:
I REALLY Do NOT appreciate that you are treating me like someone that has never owned a dog and telling me that I am not the pack leader!!!!!!! :mad: I am the pack leader and I do take charge!!! I have tried for 3 days in a row with the 'nothing else until you eat that' and on other things it works! NOT WITH THIS!!!!!
The next time that you want to say something to me, please re-read it and make sure that you are addressing a person that has had animals their whole life!!!!! I grew up learning everything I could from vets, trainers, and other people that I have worked with throughout my 25 years!!!! I do NOT appreciate being put down in ANY way when I do have a clue!!! I am getting pretty tired (like I think everyone else is) of you always putting others down just because they don't agree with you!!!! You are not ALWAYS RIGHT!!! Give up the attitude and then I will start taking your advise again!!!
I will NOT leave this forum because I like some of the other people on here and their advise!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I have tried for 3 days in a row with the 'nothing else until you eat that' and on other things it works! NOT WITH THIS!!!!!
Hehe, the dog outlasted you. That puts him in charge of food, not you. He knows that if he holds out long enough, you will cave and he has proved himself right. Now, if you are in charge, act like it and see to it that the dog eats what you decides he needs.

He will not starve himself. No dog will starve himself in the presence of food. Now that you have caved one time, it will make it more difficult the next. If it takes 5 days then it takes 5 days. Oh, and don't worry about starving your dog. You are not starving him. You are offereing him food and he is making the concious decision not to eat. He will eat when he gets hungry enough.

I'm glad you have the maturity not to leave just because someone says something you don't like. I admire that. I may not be right every time but I am right about this.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hehe, the dog outlasted you. That puts him in charge of food, not you. He knows that if he holds out long enough, you will cave and he has proved himself right. Now, if you are in charge, act like it and see to it that the dog eats what you decides he needs.

He will not starve himself. No dog will starve himself in the presence of food. Now that you have caved one time, it will make it more difficult the next. If it takes 5 days then it takes 5 days. Oh, and don't worry about starving your dog. You are not starving him. You are offereing him food and he is making the concious decision not to eat. He will eat when he gets hungry enough.

I'm glad you have the maturity not to leave just because someone says something you don't like. I admire that. I may not be right every time but I am right about this.
Once again you are being an ass!! I do not feel I am starving my dog. He is fat-n-happy and I don't feel that 'making a point' should take more then 3 days. That just means that you are overobsessive about the little things in life! If I get to a point that I am not able to get him more food and that is all he gets. Then I will reassess it then. Until then, I will not be the biggest jerk to my dog just because he has a preferance for a cheap chicken leg and not an expensive beef t-bone steak!!! Not worth the fight!
You talk about how you think that Cesar Millan is cruel with his training methods, but you will fight with your dog for days-on-end over a stupid steak!! Again, NOT WORTH IT!!!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
He is fat-n-happy and I don't feel that 'making a point' should take more then 3 days. That just means that you are overobsessive about the little things in life!
I have known it to take 7 days. When you are trying to get your dog to eat something besides chicken and he won't eat pork, turkey, or beef then you have a picky eater. He is telling you what he iwill eat and what he won't and you are letting him. Then you get angry when someone points out that you are not the leader.

Until then, I will not be the biggest jerk to my dog just because he has a preferance for a cheap chicken leg and not an expensive beef t-bone steak!!! Not worth the fight!
That is the attitude of people with spoiled dogs. I don't know if yours is spoiled or not but people with spoiled dogs don't want to make their dogs angry or hurt his feelings or otherwise make his life less than pleasant.

You talk about how you think that Cesar Millan is cruel with his training methods, but you will fight with your dog for days-on-end over a stupid steak!! Again, NOT WORTH IT!!!
As long as you offer food at meal times and the dog refuses to eat it, I don't call that cruel. I see it as the dog making a decision and living with the consequences of that decision. It's not over a steak. It's over beef, turkey, and pork AND who is in charge and who determines the menu.

None of my dogs has missed more than one meal. They know who is in charge and who will stand his ground and they know they will get exactly the same animal part next meal so they may as well eat it now.

I don't feed my dogs turkey because one of them doesn't like it. He missed one meal on 3 or 4 occasions. Once I decided to quit feeding it, we finished up the 30lb case we were working on and I didn't buy any more. That way I remained the leader and I doubt they have even noticed that they haven't had turkey for a while. Thats the way you handle a situation like that. You don't just let the dog decide.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have known it to take 7 days. When you are trying to get your dog to eat something besides chicken and he won't eat pork, turkey, or beef then you have a picky eater. He is telling you what he iwill eat and what he won't and you are letting him. Then you get angry when someone points out that you are not the leader.

That is the attitude of people with spoiled dogs. I don't know if yours is spoiled or not but people with spoiled dogs don't want to make their dogs angry or hurt his feelings or otherwise make his life less than pleasant.

As long as you offer food at meal times and the dog refuses to eat it, I don't call that cruel. I see it as the dog making a decision and living with the consequences of that decision. It's not over a steak. It's over beef, turkey, and pork AND who is in charge and who determines the menu.

None of my dogs has missed more than one meal. They know who is in charge and who will stand his ground and they know they will get exactly the same animal part next meal so they may as well eat it now.

I don't feed my dogs turkey because one of them doesn't like it. He missed one meal on 3 or 4 occasions. Once I decided to quit feeding it, we finished up the 30lb case we were working on and I didn't buy any more. That way I remained the leader and I doubt they have even noticed that they haven't had turkey for a while. Thats the way you handle a situation like that. You don't just let the dog decide.
No, I am only reacting the same way that everyone else reacts when they are being rudely put down!! I only asked about why he vommits when he eats pork! IF you are not able to answer this question... I would rather you not come up with some reason that you are right about stupid stuff and everyone else is not a 'pack leader' like you think you are!!! I am a pack leader! If you do not know me personally, do NOT put me down like a child who does not know what I am talking about!! I have done TONs of research on feeding RAW, but I didn't find anything about my dog vomiting when he eats pork!!! He doesn't do it when he eats any other type of meat. It is not limited to just the chops, it is when he eats ANY kind of pork product!!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
NOW!! I am having problems with feeding pork. Everytime that I give Owen pork, he ends up throwing up within an hour. And, how important is beef to his diet? He won't eat anything from a cow!... Except the pizzle stick!;) And even that he throws it around for a while in the yard until it gets to a ripe smell and then he eats it!! :) I still have him on chicken and turkey. He LOVES turkey and likes the chicken a LOT!! :) I know that he knows best, but I can't help but want to put variety in his diet. He also won't touch anything fish except small minnow size fish when given as a treat! I am a little lost as to what to do now!
I have not given him any lamb, deer or any other meats because I wanted to see how he did on some of these others first. He is still of a great size/weight, so I am not worried about that! I guess I will have to stick with the chicken and turkey till I can afford some rabbit, deer, or lamb meat. Any ideas would be great and helpful.
I would like to take this back to my original question!!! If anyone (Other then RFD!) has anything to add, nicely, I am willing to hear!! Thanks!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Try mixing a meal of half pork, half chicken with the same or less total volume as a regular meal. See what happens.

For another meal, feed all pork but cut the fat off.

To try something else ... feed a meal of pork but only half the volume.

You say you are feeding pork chops with bone cut off. Cut the pork chops into smaller pieces if you are not already doing that.

One or more of these should work and that will tell us what to do next.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My Pyr can't handle turkey backs. He throws them up every time. :frown:

Therefore, I just don't feed turkey backs. He can eat turkey necks, thighs, wings, etc. without a problem. Dunno what's with him and turkey backs. :confused:

·
Registered
474 Posts
ma bee uins need dat preest to come and bless dat pork. May bee yore dawg only ate kosher pork. Paw sayz sumtimes old Tater and Lucy need to starve fer a day or too. It makes me reel sad seein my Tater an Lucy, and Mutt mopin rond shiffin fer sumtin to ate. I sticks som jerky in my pocit and sneeks it out to dem. And dem old dawgs bout nock me ober day so happee ta see dat jerky. I aint sur if da jecrky iz pork or iz it aint. Buts dem dawgs of min sur lovs it.

Iz sumone fightin in heer? I seez a bunch of big letters and exkelmashun points. May bee we shud all sat down and ate sum bar bee q pork and seez ifn dem dawgs will ate it too.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ma bee uins need dat preest to come and bless dat pork. May bee yore dawg only ate kosher pork. Paw sayz sumtimes old Tater and Lucy need to starve fer a day or too. It makes me reel sad seein my Tater an Lucy, and Mutt mopin rond shiffin fer sumtin to ate. I sticks som jerky in my pocit and sneeks it out to dem. And dem old dawgs bout nock me ober day so happee ta see dat jerky. I aint sur if da jecrky iz pork or iz it aint. Buts dem dawgs of min sur lovs it.

Iz sumone fightin in heer? I seez a bunch of big letters and exkelmashun points. May bee we shud all sat down and ate sum bar bee q pork and seez ifn dem dawgs will ate it too.
GREAT!!! Now I have to listen to you telling me to starve my dog too???? :wink:
I have just decided to not feed him pork. I will stick with the other stuff.
OH, and I started Owen with lamb pieces the other day and he looked at it, looked at me and walked off with his nose in the air. SO... I did what he did and I walked away from him with my nose in the air, locked him outside with the meat and checked on him about an hour later.
He is a stubern one... but then again I probably would have him if he wasn't :). When I went back out there he hadn't eaten but maybe one piece. So he had it for breakfast the next morning, and then dinner that night and breakfast the next morning, all while only eating one little piece at a time till finally he was hungry and ate it all up!!! :)
So, you see, when he is trying something new, I do make him keep trying it till he quits being stubbern! :) He only likes to play games. Then he realizes that 'momma ain't playing a game'! Only, sometimes it isn't a game with him either. He likes to eat rotten stuff and as long as it isn't in my house, I don't care. But, there are some things that he just doesn't like. Like when he gives it to the neighbor dog instead of eating it himself, that is when I know that he just doesn't want it! He isn't the sharing kind of dog either! He will hide when he even thinks that someone else wants his food. Then he protects it! :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts