Dog Food Chat banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
At this point, I see no other alternative than leashing him to go out even in my fenced yard and restricting his outside time until we can solve the problem of the yard. I have two other large dogs, so he's not the only pet with which I have to contend he's just the only high-maintenance one.
I've got some good news and some bad news.

GOOD NEWS: There is a product you attach between all the posts of your fence. It is a rod with a metal tube around it. When your dog gets to the top of the fence, the tube rolls over the rod keeping the dog from getting traction to pull himself over the fence. I am picturing a chain link fence here. It would make it impossible for the dog to climb over the fence because he just can't get enough traction to pull himself over it.

BAD NEWS: I don't remember the name of the product or where I saw it. I THINK it was on another board. There was a thread about an escape artist dog and this product was brought up along with a link to a web site. Sorry, thats all I can help you with now. I'm sure this would solve your problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks

RFD for your input. I saw on another thread that you have extensive dog training experience and was wondering what your views would be.

I saw that same device - the "coyote roller" on another website. I doubt it will be helpful for us since A. we have a wooden privacy fence - not a chain-link and B. it's of no use if the dog clears the fence completely, as I believe my dog would easily. This is my PB Husky that is the escape artist and he can jump cleanly 5 ft in the air.

We did purchase the PetSafety electric fence and will diligently install (weather permitting) and train and see what we come up with. This dog needs training badly anyway and it won't hurt for him to have this training, whether we find the fence an effective and safe means or not.

After his last escape, there is no way I see electric consequences as less humane than death or broken bones from being hit by a car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
MollyWoppy....

thanks for the input. We are going to do the "do it yourself" version of the Invisible fence and we'll see what happens. If it's wasted money, then so be it. I have read related chat on the Siberian Husky forum and there are certainly Huskies that choose the jolt and the "freedom" but I'm willing to see if he can be deterred. I hate to have one dog I have to leash to take outside (especially one so fond of this "beautiful" Northern IL winter weather) while my other two roam free.

All I can say is, thank goodness for the disposition and training of my other two dogs (pictured in my sig) who did NOT follow him out through the neighborhood the last time he pushed the latch on my kitchen door and left. I came home to find them sitting worriedly in the house with a "that dog left and we couldn't stop him" expression on both faces, lol.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I saw that same device - the "coyote roller" on another website. I doubt it will be helpful for us since A. we have a wooden privacy fence - not a chain-link and B. it's of no use if the dog clears the fence completely, as I believe my dog would easily. This is my PB Husky that is the escape artist and he can jump cleanly 5 ft in the air.
Yes, the coyote roller was exactly what I was talking about. Another thing you can do if your yard is large enough is to plant bushes 3 to 5 feet in front of the fence where the dog can't get a running start at the fence and can't get into a good jumping position behind the bushes. I've known that to stop jumpers. There may be just one or two places where he can jump the fence and that is the only place you would have to plant the bushes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For dogs, fences above 6 feet in height are better so that they cannot jump over, both wooden fences and a chain-link fence are suitable here.
But it must be borne in mind that dogs have a tendency to undermine, here the fence chain link, and part of the fabric and the stretched wire should be buried 1 foot underground.

The approximate cost can be calculated on a site:
wooden fence - https://knockfence.com/wood-fence-calculator-and-gate-cost-in-houston-tx/
fence chain link - https://knockfence.com/chain-link-fence-calculator-and-gate-cost-in-houston-tx/

21 - 26 of 26 Posts