Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone from CraigsList has ground Venison for nothing...is it good to give?

·
Banned
493 Posts
i wont speak too much being that i am new to the raw feeding thing, but it would think that it would be great to give your dog. just not too often being that it's ground, because the calcium phosphorous radio would be unbalanced if ground was given too often without the bone.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Absolutely!
Of course you don't want ground meat to be a huge part of the diet, but for the sake of variety, fantastic! A lot of raw feeders feed a gound meal maybe once per week or so. Some of the beef I feed is ground because it tends to be really expensive otherwise.

Ground meat is not going to throw off the Ca:p ratio any more than a boneless slab of meat would. Not every meal needs to be or should be bone inclusive.

ETA: if I could get game meat at a reasonable price, I'd probably feed it twice a week, even if it were ground.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Yeah I say go for it or send it to me if you don't want it! :biggrin:

I got a bunch of ground elk and beef of cl and I was so excited about it. I feed ground meals a couple times a week because i got so much of it.

·
Banned
493 Posts
Absolutely!
Of course you don't want ground meat to be a huge part of the diet, but for the sake of variety, fantastic! A lot of raw feeders feed a gound meal maybe once per week or so. Some of the beef I feed is ground because it tends to be really expensive otherwise.

Ground meat is not going to throw off the Ca:p ratio any more than a boneless slab of meat would. Not every meal needs to be or should be bone inclusive.

ETA: if I could get game meat at a reasonable price, I'd probably feed it twice a week, even if it were ground.
have you ever given your dog a "cornish hen". they really are perfect sized and only cost me about 1.99 for a pound and a quarter hen. they are basically miniature whole chickens.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Someone from CraigsList has ground Venison for nothing...is it good to give?
Don't hesitate ... run jump and your car and go get it before someone else does!!! That is a great thing to feed. If I could only feed one meat source and I had access to it, it would be venison.

·
Banned
493 Posts
Don't hesitate ... run jump and your car and go get it before someone else does!!! That is a great thing to feed. If I could only feed one meat source and I had access to it, it would be venison.
cant venison be used to describe a variety of different game meats? you're referring to deer meat right?

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
have you ever given your dog a "cornish hen". they really are perfect sized and only cost me about 1.99 for a pound and a quarter hen. they are basically miniature whole chickens.
let's stay on topic here.
And no, i'd never pay two bucks a pound for any poultry.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I told her I want it.
Thanks again guys, you all are the best. :)

I figure I can give chicken backs for a breakfast and an evening meal of the ground venison.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I told her I want it.
Thanks again guys, you all are the best. :)

I figure I can give chicken backs for a breakfast and an evening meal of the ground venison.
that sounds perfect! The chicken backs are deifnately enough bone for the day.
I'm so jealous. I was free venison! lol.

·
Banned
493 Posts
can u buy chicken backs at any grocery store? i don't think i've ever seen them. also, the same with turkey necks.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, venison is strictly deer.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would share if you lived closer.
She said in her email:
"We have about 10lbs of venison in our freezer and frankly, I'm sick of cooking with the stuff. Come get it if you like."

As for chicken backs, I don't think they are very easy to find normally, I just happen to live near a butcher that calls me when they get them in.

·
Banned
493 Posts
where do u guys get venison?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Post up an ad on CL looking for game meat. Doesn't necessarily have to be freezer burned. The fall is the best time of year to post up asking about it because lots of people who hunt want to clear out last years kill to make room for this years.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts