Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is feeding ground Raw the same as feeding whole Raw? Could I feed ground raw as the main diet and then give marrow bones and or pork ribs a couple times a week as a treat and to help their teeth?

Just curious and thought I could get good advice here on this.

Thank you for all your help!

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Ground raw is certainly not ideal. It doesn't provide dental benefits. It allows more bacteria to infiltrate the meats. If you buy it someplace you have no idea of what is really in it or it has a bunch of crap that your dogs don't need. Typically it is pretty expensive compared to PMR style meats.

All that being said, you could give your dogs primarily ground and RMBs every once in a while to help with teeth and I'm sure they would be fine. Would I? No, because it is not as good as whole raw meats IMO.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ground raw is certainly not ideal. It doesn't provide dental benefits. It allows more bacteria to infiltrate the meats. If you buy it someplace you have no idea of what is really in it or it has a bunch of crap that your dogs don't need. Typically it is pretty expensive compared to PMR style meats.

All that being said, you could give your dogs primarily ground and RMBs every once in a while to help with teeth and I'm sure they would be fine. Would I? No, because it is not as good as whole raw meats IMO.
Hi Natalie-

I just sent Jon a private message with a list to look at. Maybe you guys can help me with that. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Thats a pretty good list of meats! Can I ask why you'd want to feed ground and not the whole form?

The only things I would stay away from personally are the blends....they don't have a breakdown of ingredients and their content.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats a pretty good list of meats! Can I ask why you'd want to feed ground and not the whole form?

The only things I would stay away from personally are the blends....they don't have a breakdown of ingredients and their content.
I don't want to necessarily feed ground was just curious really about the differences. If you guys say whole is best then I will stick with whole. Just wondered if ground was just as good. Also, I am a freak about the whole raw in the house thing. I am able to feed outside now since it's summer but in the winter I will be worried about germs and mostly because of my kids. With ground it can just go in a bowl like kibble and they will eat it a bit neater.

That list that I sent to you is for whole and ground though. Would you guys be able to tell me what to get?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
What I would order:

Chicken- whole leg, quarters, frames, whole fryers, feet (good source of glucosamine)

Turkey- wing, leg, frame, whole, necks

Pork- heart, liver, kidney, spleen, pancreas (mostly because of the size of these organs because fowl organs are small and messy for large breed dogs and beef organs are TOO big. Pork organs seem to be the best size to deal with. For these, if your dogs WILL eat these happily I personally would get them ground just for ease of feeding)

Beef- heart, ribs if you can find them elsewhere

Rabbit- feeder rabbits

Rest of the fowl birds- pretty much it all would work.

With all this being said, these prices are at least twice what we pay. I personally would find a cheaper route, unless budget is not an issue. It would be great to order and get food from only one source, but we need to keep the bottom dollar in mind. We typically don't spend over $1 per pound for any of our meats except some game meats which we wont pay over $2 per pound for. Just for example, Walmart sells chicken quarters for ~.65 per pound which is .30 cheaper than this co op. Just food for thought. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What I would order:

Chicken- whole leg, quarters, frames, whole fryers, feet (good source of glucosamine)

Turkey- wing, leg, frame, whole, necks

Pork- heart, liver, kidney, spleen, pancreas (mostly because of the size of these organs because fowl organs are small and messy for large breed dogs and beef organs are TOO big. Pork organs seem to be the best size to deal with. For these, if your dogs WILL eat these happily I personally would get them ground just for ease of feeding)

Beef- heart, ribs if you can find them elsewhere

Rabbit- feeder rabbits

Rest of the fowl birds- pretty much it all would work.

With all this being said, these prices are at least twice what we pay. I personally would find a cheaper route, unless budget is not an issue. It would be great to order and get food from only one source, but we need to keep the bottom dollar in mind. We typically don't spend over $1 per pound for any of our meats except some game meats which we wont pay over $2 per pound for. Just for example, Walmart sells chicken quarters for ~.65 per pound which is .30 cheaper than this co op. Just food for thought. Hope this helps!
Thank you so much Natalie. Budget IS a HUGE issue for us so it really does matter. I am still waiting on a list from another meat distributor. They were supposed to call me back today but didn't. I will call them tomorrow. When I get the list and prices from them I will send that to you as well. I am not sure what is a good price and what is not since I am so new to this. I can not thank you enough for all of the help that you and Jon both are giving to me and continue to give. I hope I am not being a pain.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Sorry if this is off topic and that I am not contributing, as I am learning about raw myself, but I just wanted to say...you have birds too! That's awesome! :biggrin:

Reactions: Luke & Gracie's Mom

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Thank you so much Natalie. Budget IS a HUGE issue for us so it really does matter. I am still waiting on a list from another meat distributor. They were supposed to call me back today but didn't. I will call them tomorrow. When I get the list and prices from them I will send that to you as well. I am not sure what is a good price and what is not since I am so new to this. I can not thank you enough for all of the help that you and Jon both are giving to me and continue to give. I hope I am not being a pain.
Oh, Shannon...you couldn't be a pain if you tried! At least not with asking questions about raw! We are happy to give you our time and advice...its what we do here and over at DOL. We just thought it would be good to have you here to since there are others just as helpful here. And even the few newbies that have just recently gone through what you are now. What you don't realize is that we are training you to become a role model and mentor for the next "generation" of converts to raw!

Definitely send me the list. But here is a estimation of what we pay for our regular rotation meats just for an idea of what we pay:

Chicken- quarters .49-.65 per pound, backs/frames .35-.45 per pound, whole $1 per pound (I wouldn't EVER pay over $1 per pound for chicken)

Turkey- necks .65-.75 per pound, whole bird .25-.50 per pound (around holiday season so we stock up!), wings .65-.80 per pound

Beef- ribs .80-.90 per pound, heart .80-.90 per pound (only two things we buy in beef UNLESS there is an insane deal on ground- never over $1 though)

Pork- roast (butt or shoulder, bone in or boneless) .80-$1 per pound, ribs/riblets .80-$1 per pound, liver/kidney/heart .65-.75 per pound

Fish- whole tilapia .75-.95 per pound, sardines/smelts/scad 1.65-$2 per pound (for the cats almost exclusively), pollock fillets $1.20 per pound, canned fishes (mackarel, tuna, sardines) .50-$2 per can depending on which one...we usually wait for these to go on sale though.

Game- venison/elk $1-1.50 per pound, llama $1.50 per pound OR Free off of craigslist!!!

Also, here is a general list of places I would call or visit in person (better to do this) to find meat connections!

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=Levittown,+PA+meat+distributors&fb=1&gl=us&hq=meat+distributors&hnear=Levittown,+PA&view=text&ei=DDpOTIThK8WgnweZ7tT3AQ&sa=X&oi=local_group&ct=more-results&resnum=1&ved=0CBwQtQMwAA

Sorry if this is off topic and that I am not contributing, as I am learning about raw myself, but I just wanted to say...you have birds too! That's awesome! :biggrin:
Its perfectly fine with me that you post up completely off topic posts!!!

·
Registered
222 Posts
The only time we feed ground, is making little meat balls to put their omega3-6-9 capsules in. It hides them perfect, they don't even know they are there.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is awesome, I love that picture on your signature.

Reactions: schtuffy

·
Registered
52 Posts
I feed some ground but it's not too significant. Only makes up about 25% of their diet with the vast majority being raw meaty bones.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh, Shannon...you couldn't be a pain if you tried! At least not with asking questions about raw! We are happy to give you our time and advice...its what we do here and over at DOL. We just thought it would be good to have you here to since there are others just as helpful here. And even the few newbies that have just recently gone through what you are now. What you don't realize is that we are training you to become a role model and mentor for the next "generation" of converts to raw!

Definitely send me the list. But here is a estimation of what we pay for our regular rotation meats just for an idea of what we pay:

Chicken- quarters .49-.65 per pound, backs/frames .35-.45 per pound, whole $1 per pound (I wouldn't EVER pay over $1 per pound for chicken)

Turkey- necks .65-.75 per pound, whole bird .25-.50 per pound (around holiday season so we stock up!), wings .65-.80 per pound

Beef- ribs .80-.90 per pound, heart .80-.90 per pound (only two things we buy in beef UNLESS there is an insane deal on ground- never over $1 though)

Pork- roast (butt or shoulder, bone in or boneless) .80-$1 per pound, ribs/riblets .80-$1 per pound, liver/kidney/heart .65-.75 per pound

Fish- whole tilapia .75-.95 per pound, sardines/smelts/scad 1.65-$2 per pound (for the cats almost exclusively), pollock fillets $1.20 per pound, canned fishes (mackarel, tuna, sardines) .50-$2 per can depending on which one...we usually wait for these to go on sale though.

Game- venison/elk $1-1.50 per pound, llama $1.50 per pound OR Free off of craigslist!!!

Also, here is a general list of places I would call or visit in person (better to do this) to find meat connections!

Levittown, PA meat distributors - Google Maps

Its perfectly fine with me that you post up completely off topic posts!!!
Natalie, thank you so much for such a large amount of information. You really give your time to here and boy oh boy do you have patience. I will call around to those vendors and see what their prices are and once I get that list from that other meat distributor I will send that to you as well. Thanks so much!!!

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
something i've watched happen in the six months we've been on raw....

two awkward dogs learned how to eat raw...and their neck muscles...are like body builders now...LOL

their jaws can tear through pieces of protein that they couldn't do before...

my pug's feet are so strong from standing on his food and holding it down...he couldn't do that before.

my pug doesn't hork anymore....he's learning how to eat without trying to swallow the food whole...

when i give ground, it's because i forgot about it and it's got a little freezer burn on it, so i don't eat it....but i make meatballs and freeze them...on a hot summers' day, it's a great treat....

it sounds as if you're afraid of the bones....they learn. they really do. believe me, if my pug who does NOT have the dentition for raw....can do it..anyone can...:)

and natalie? i can't get prices like you get...wow...even when i shop sales....i'm moving next door to you.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Remember they want to move closer to us!

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Natalie, thank you so much for such a large amount of information. You really give your time to here and boy oh boy do you have patience. I will call around to those vendors and see what their prices are and once I get that list from that other meat distributor I will send that to you as well. Thanks so much!!!
Keep the questions coming :wink:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yep, she's definantly got patience! She really loves to educate people on raw feeding and knows what she's talking about. :wink:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts