Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does it matter what percent fat ground beef your feeding? I bought some 73% GB alot cheaper that the leaner stuff

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Are you feeding raw?

The only thing that really matters is if your dog can handle the increased amount of fat. You run the risk of your dog getting diarrhea from it because of the fat content, but if your dog is used to getting ground beef and can handle most foods with higher fat content ok, I would at least give it a shot and see how it goes.

With that being said, ground meats are really not ideal to feed exclusively. I wouldn't feed ground meats more than once a week at the most. Not only do ground meats not offer the dental benefits but it can also harbor more bacteria than whole chunks of meat.

Feeding beef on the other hand is rather expensive, and sometimes feeding ground beef is the only way to add in a beef source to your raw rotation. So you have to weigh the pros and cons to feeding it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I also feed chicken necks chicken quarters etc. I was just wondering about the more fatty 73% gb.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I would say your dog could handle it just fine because you feed raw chicken quarters which have a fair bit of skin/fat on them.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I feed ground beef high in fat once a week. I feed beef ribs, which don't have enough meat on them to be a meal, so I add in some ground with it. I've never had a problem with it at all, so definately give it a shot.

Ground meals are not ideal, so try not to feed too much of them. THat being said, feeding it once a week to me is worth being able to have the variety in my dog's diet. Keep an eye on Beef packer briskets, sometimes they go on sale and are about the same price per pound as ground beef, and that's much more ideal.

·
Registered
127 Posts
chicken necks and chicken backs are great! i feed those to my rotties every weekend. i like the necks because it is very soft

·
Registered
76 Posts
chicken necks and chicken backs are great! i feed those to my rotties every weekend. i like the necks because it is very soft
I thought chicken necks shouldn't be given to bigger breed dogs because they can choke on them. I read that we should stay away from anything a big dog could swallow whole. I'm still learning here so any info is always appreciated!

- Jean

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I thought chicken necks shouldn't be given to bigger breed dogs because they can choke on them. I read that we should stay away from anything a big dog could swallow whole. I'm still learning here so any info is always appreciated!
You are absolutely correct. :smile:

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Except chicken necks are very very soft, I could break one with 2 fingers, Unlike turkey necks, they are horrendously tough.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Except chicken necks are very very soft, I could break one with 2 fingers, Unlike turkey necks, they are horrendously tough.
Quite a difference between the two....I've been sitting outside for about 15 minutes now, and Brady's only made a dent in his turkey neck. :rolleyes:

It doesn't help anything that these turkey necks I just got are mutants. Each one weighs about 1.25 lbs. LOL

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
That reminds me, I wanted to ask about beef soup bones...I find them cheap everywhere, but are they okay to feed? I don't know what bones they are, so I'm not sure.

Also, would it be best to do a beef meal and a chicken back for same days if you're doing ground beef and/or ribs and/or tripe, because there is no bone that they can really ingest, unless they're Aspen! I mean, there's really no bone in that, so I would think that supplementing it with a heavy bone-in meal would be better. And is tripe okay to feed as an additive to meals. I mean, I don't think I'd feed it as a whole meal, but maybe, just, like, a chunk of it with one meal?​

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Quite a difference between the two....I've been sitting outside for about 15 minutes now, and Brady's only made a dent in his turkey neck.

Thats why I always have to cut up the turkey necks, dogs can't even get their mouths around them and I'd be late to work if I waited for them to eat it. HAHA!!!!!
They still get a good chew workout even when cutting them into smaller pieces, You'd think they gave those turkeys steroids or something.. You know what they really look like? I can't say, but it's equine.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Thats why I always have to cut up the turkey necks, dogs can't even get their mouths around them and I'd be late to work if I waited for them to eat it. HAHA!!!!!
Yeah, with these I've just been letting him eat half then taking the rest away until the next feeding. I had to cut 40 pounds of chicken quarters, and bag up 60 pounds of beef....I totally had no interest in cutting up the turkey necks. :tongue:

They still get a good chew workout even when cutting them into smaller pieces, You'd think they gave those turkeys steroids or something.. You know what they really look like? I can't say, but it's equine.
HAHAHA :biggrin:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
That reminds me, I wanted to ask about beef soup bones...I find them cheap everywhere, but are they okay to feed? I don't know what bones they are, so I'm not sure.​

I highly wouldn't suggest feeding these. They are considered weight bearing bones and have the great potential to break teeth. And that is not a risk that I think anyone should take. One of our girls broke a tooth on a weight bearing bone and had to have it extracted because it was split all the way through. Now she doesn't really use that side of her mouth to chew and has tartar buildup there that has to be scaled off at this point. Breaking teeth and having them extracted is for one expensive, but also hazardous to future dental hygiene.

Also, would it be best to do a beef meal and a chicken back for same days if you're doing ground beef and/or ribs and/or tripe, because there is no bone that they can really ingest, unless they're Aspen! I mean, there's really no bone in that, so I would think that supplementing it with a heavy bone-in meal would be better. And is tripe okay to feed as an additive to meals. I mean, I don't think I'd feed it as a whole meal, but maybe, just, like, a chunk of it with one meal?
I wouldn't go more than 2 days without bone or you will see diarrhea/loose stool...which isn't the end of the world but isn't ideal either. I tend to feed a day of bone in meal and then a day without any bone. Remember that bone is only supposed to constitute ~10% of their diet....which in the grand scheme of things isn't a whole lot. In the beginning of switching dogs to raw, bone in meals everyday ensures that diarrhea is NOT an issue, so I don't suggest skipping bone in meal days in the first few months of raw feeding. If you want to feed boneless meats, like ground beef, feed it along with bone in meats until your dogs become experienced raw eaters.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts