Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to mention something I read off a recently closed thread about racing greyhounds. I met an owner once who races his dogs in FLA. I asked him what does he feed and the answer was...

50% Purina Pro Plan (contains corn)
50% Raw meat
Vitamin supplements

Would also like to mention I think a few come down a little hard on the new guy TJ who seems like a nice person, knows quite a bit about the show circuit,
and has an interest in nutrition. I'm not sure anyone even took the time to welcome him to the group. We all have our different beliefs of what works and what doesn't when it comes to feeding. Showing respect and kindness to all is always best and no one really needs the 'why feed cheap' stuff despite the obvious budget.

I have a friend who has a French Brittany going into the 15th year of hunting and the dog was fed exclusively pedigree the whole life. Go figure ehh. Not the path I would choose but it works for some. My point, if it works for them no need to rain on someone’s parade.

TJ, welcome to the group, very nice pics I saw of your dogs and congratulations on all the shows, ribbons, and championships!

Charlie

·
Registered
474 Posts
I fed my GSD Prdigree for years and she lived to be 13+. Amazing what good genetics will do. I was not dog food savy back then and it was the only kibble that she would eat. I tried others but she loved Pedigree. She must of had an iron gut!

Now my GSDs get better food. With age has come some wisdom, I hope.

:confused:

·
Registered
241 Posts
50% Raw meat
Vitamin supplements
Ok, we didn't say the dog would be completely useless on corn, nor did we say they die eating it, either. He may live longer withOUT it, but he won't necessarily die because he consumes it. We said it's been the cause of problems in a lot of dogs. And the fact that 50% of it's diet was RAW, plus vitamin supplements, helps carry the "meh" quality of the pro plan food.

...and has an interest in nutrition. I'm not sure anyone even took the time to welcome him to the group. We all have our different beliefs of what works and what doesn't when it comes to feeding. Showing respect and kindness to all is always best and no one really needs the 'why feed cheap' stuff despite the obvious budget.
If he was curious in nutrition, he wouldn't come on here tooting his horn about how great his pets are compared to our avg, run of the mill house pets and how corn is inimitable.. and if corn didn't work, switch over to the other cheap substitute of lamb and rice. He wasn't wanting to learn, he was on a mission to teach.. and he jumped right in the middle of a group who is either feeding a premium kibble, raw, or both.. He reminded us an awful lot of the Plymouth09 or whatever and lab09.. and you saw what happened to them :smile:

Would also like to mention I think a few come down a little hard on the new guy TJ who seems like a nice person, knows quite a bit about the show circuit...
I will agree, here. Maybe we got a little presumptuous, rather I did, but maybe next time a different "entrance".. You know, like heading over to the "Welcome" section and introducing yourself, maybe a little research of the board, then voice your opinion if you so please. Don't come on here, start preaching corn, then when someone retaliates, compare your dog's "royal" lifestyle to ours'. That's like coming on and say "my son is an honor role student because I feed him corn on the cob, your son's needs at the average level are so much more different." It's insulting to both of us :smile:

But, with that said, Welcome aboard, TJ. As you witnessed, we here are pretty passionate and firmly believe not what we were taught, but what we were introduced to and personally experienced. Yes, there are a plethora of ideas, theories and beliefs, but everyone is firm in their own. The beauty of this board is the debates, and though some things did tend to get a bit personal in ours, hopefully that won't turn you off from a future on the board. There are constantly new members with new additions to the community, and it's great to have someone from the show circuit side of things.

Again, welcome to the board and my apologies for getting so irrational :smile:

·
Banned
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand what you're saying about the entrance, but I got that impression from the other two, who were probably the same, Lab09/PLM09, not so much from TJ. Anyway...feeding corn since 1949, that's a great line...sounds like a bumper sticker or something. Those other 2 you could tell, a young person copying and pasting whatever supported their agenda.
TJ is speaking from life experience, big difference I think. We can work on him I think and he'll come around. By the time we’re done TJ will be thinking, jeeeze, maybe I could have sold that dog for 315 instead of 265 if I had done that instead...lol. Or, jeeeze, maybe I could have twice as many ribbons hanging on the wall if I had done this instead....

Charlie

·
Registered
41 Posts
maybe I could have sold that dog for 315 instead of 265 if I had done that instead..
Don't I wish:smile: Lottie belong to Mary Howley (Candlewood Kennels), not me. The funny thing about that deal was that Lottie continued sleeping on the foot of Mike Lardy's bed after she was sold just like she had before she was sold.

Thanks guys for the welcome.

Suppose I did come on a little strong.
I have a pet passion and that is getting passionate about ANY product being bad mouthed. Everyone is entitled to their opinion about which product they think is best, but (IMO of course) that doesn't come with the automatic right to say that another product is bad. saying "I don't like that product" is one thing, saying that product is harmful is quite another.

I personally have no problem with RAW, it just didn't satisfy my needs is all.
Primary problem being how to manage it when on the road. A trunk full of dead chickens just didn't excite me very much.:eek: If I load up and head for Texas for the winter field trial season I'll be taking a two months supply of food along for possibly as many as 10 dogs. RAW becomes a logistical problem, and switching back and forth can really mess with the dogs.
This is what you will see most field trialers running around in, makes a guy get real careful about how he packs. (not my truck)
http://www.kraftwerkk9.com/images/gallery/dogtruck1.JPG

RAW not satisfying my needs, doesn't make it bad, it just means that alternatives need to be used.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I personally have no problem with RAW, it just didn't satisfy my needs is all.
Primary problem being how to manage it when on the road. A trunk full of dead chickens just didn't excite me very much.:eek: If I load up and head for Texas for the winter field trial season I'll be taking a two months supply of food along for possibly as many as 10 dogs. RAW becomes a logistical problem, and switching back and forth can really mess with the dogs.
Yes switching back and forth CAN mess with a dog... BUT the thing with raw is, there's a supermarket or a walmart or a butcher or farmer nearly everywhere. You don't necessarily have to pack along the whole 2 month's worth of stuff at once. Pack enough to get where you're going, then when you get wherever you're going, buy what you need while you're there!

·
Registered
41 Posts
You don't necessarily have to pack along the whole 2 month's worth of stuff at once. Pack enough to get where you're going, then when you get wherever you're going, buy what you need while you're there!
Doesn't work very well when "there" is 40 miles from town.

After 12-14 hours out on the field trial grounds the only thing I ever have in mind is getting the dogs fed and aired so that I can get some sleep. A shopping trip doesn't excite me at all. I would probably crash in the check out line.:wink:

Like I said, I tried it, and it just didn't work.
There is a point where inconvient becomes more than just inconvient.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Just wanted to mention something I read off a recently closed thread about racing greyhounds. I met an owner once who races his dogs in FLA. I asked him what does he feed and the answer was...

50% Raw meat
Vitamin supplements

Would also like to mention I think a few come down a little hard on the new guy TJ who seems like a nice person, knows quite a bit about the show circuit,
and has an interest in nutrition. I'm not sure anyone even took the time to welcome him to the group. We all have our different beliefs of what works and what doesn't when it comes to feeding. Showing respect and kindness to all is always best and no one really needs the 'why feed cheap' stuff despite the obvious budget.

I have a friend who has a French Brittany going into the 15th year of hunting and the dog was fed exclusively pedigree the whole life. Go figure ehh. Not the path I would choose but it works for some. My point, if it works for them no need to rain on someone’s parade.

TJ, welcome to the group, very nice pics I saw of your dogs and congratulations on all the shows, ribbons, and championships!

Charlie
Right on!!!! And, TJ welcome. :biggrin:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts