Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm Atticus' mama - a 55 lb 10 month old american staffordshire terrier. He is currently my companion and is in training to become a therapy dog (hopefully - keeping fingers crossed). He likes chasing deflated soccer balls, playing with other dogs at the dog park, and lazing about at my feet.. always..

He is a smart and happy boy.. unfortunately, he's seemed to develop some allergies and I'm wondering if anyone has a comprehensive list of dog foods that are completely free of the highest known allergens to pups.. this is something I'm concerned about and he'll be going in to the vet this Saturday because of how bad it's gotten, in the meantime, I'm just hoping to pick up a small bag of ANYTHING to get him off this stuff that was supposedly allergen free but for some reason seems to be setting him off.. just saw that yeast was an allergen and I think it has that in it..

We keep him hopped up on Benadryl in the meantime with a little dab of hydrocortisone to help prevent the itchies..

Help!

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
hello and welcome. there are a few of us on here who hail from washington.....

sounds like a wonderful dog. i have a collie pup who is almost 10 months old. he's training to be a service dog for me. :)

·
Registered
900 Posts
Hello and welcome. Lots of dogs can have an intolerance to chicken. You could take a look at Acana Pacifica which is an "all life stages" grain-free food that is seafood based. My lab has a chicken intolerance and my golden doesn't do well with grains and they both handled the Acana Pacifica just fine.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I'm Atticus' mama - a 55 lb 10 month old american staffordshire terrier. He is currently my companion and is in training to become a therapy dog (hopefully - keeping fingers crossed). He likes chasing deflated soccer balls, playing with other dogs at the dog park, and lazing about at my feet.. always..

He is a smart and happy boy.. unfortunately, he's seemed to develop some allergies and I'm wondering if anyone has a comprehensive list of dog foods that are completely free of the highest known allergens to pups.. this is something I'm concerned about and he'll be going in to the vet this Saturday because of how bad it's gotten, in the meantime, I'm just hoping to pick up a small bag of ANYTHING to get him off this stuff that was supposedly allergen free but for some reason seems to be setting him off.. just saw that yeast was an allergen and I think it has that in it..

We keep him hopped up on Benadryl in the meantime with a little dab of hydrocortisone to help prevent the itchies..

Help!
I'm in Seattle, too! :)

You probably want to post something in the food section for suggestions. But allergies usually mean the gut is out of balance and that's something that needs to be addressed in addition to finding the right food. There is a test Dr. Dodds runs that can pinpoint allergies rather well. Benadryl doesn't really do much in my experience for food allergies. when dealing with premade, it can be so difficult because they're not required to list anything that's touched the food before they got it, so you never truly know what it's a food that could be causing issues/altering the gut lining.

Best of luck! Seattle has a wonderful raw co-op if you're open to that... then you can control what he's eating completely :)

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Welcome to DFC!:welcome: Glad to have you! You can go to the kibble food section and get some advice as to which direction for you to go.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Greetings newcomer, good to have you join us.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts