Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I know that some of you on here have great danes and I have read that some cuts should be avoided because they have small bones. Things like chicken drum sticks and chicken necks. I was wondering what other cuts of meats are too small to feed to a Great Dane?

Also the coop that I am looking to order from has pork neck bones for the same price as chicken backs. Are those good for meals or more of a treat thing?

We are going to try to start Grimm on raw next week!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Hey all, I know that some of you on here have great danes and I have read that some cuts should be avoided because they have small bones. Things like chicken drum sticks and chicken necks. I was wondering what other cuts of meats are too small to feed to a Great Dane?
Well, I'm not an expert on this yet, and I don't own Great Danes, but I do know that some people here say to avoid small cut because some dogs don't chew them and just try to swallow them, and it could be potentially dangerous. It might get lodged in their throat or they may not be able to digest them. The smaller bones aren't going to make much of a difference unless they're big enough to chew on, because they're always pliable enough to where they're not going to do damage. Cooked bones, however, are dangerous.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would love to hear more thoughts on this. Someone suggested I try a turkey neck as a treat to see if they like it, at the same time people say the bones can be a problem. I still have a major concern before feeding my danes the RMB diet because of possible choking or obstruction.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I would love to hear more thoughts on this. Someone suggested I try a turkey neck as a treat to see if they like it, at the same time people say the bones can be a problem. I still have a major concern before feeding my danes the RMB diet because of possible choking or obstruction.
People who say bones are a problem are people who are very inexperienced at feeding bones to their dog. Don't worry about choking or obstruction. Dogs have been eating bones for millions of years. They are well equipped to do it and they know how to do it. The thing you want to avoid is feeding bones that are small enough to swallow whole. Make sure the dog has to chew it some before swallowing.

In the case of turkey necks for Great Danes, try to buy whole turkey necks instead of the cut ones you usually find on the grocery store shelves. A whole turkey neck is about a foot long and weighs about a pound. I used to feed those a lot but one of my dogs stopped liking them so I stopped. Turkey wings are another thing you can feed Danes as a treat.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I think that you have to take into consideration the dog itself as well, not just the cuts of meat. Some dogs will chew meticulously even on the smallest cut of meat and some will inhale their food. I think taking this fact into consideration is most important.

Bailey will chew her food up pretty darn well, even things like chicken backs...which she could easily swallow whole. Akasha on the other hand will swallow anything that will fit down whole without chewing. She will chomp a chicken quarter just a few times and swallow it. She swallows chicken backs whole as well, but they are considered an appropriate size for Danes. We tend to not give her things that she can just swallow whole without chewing. We have yet to have any issue with her choking on anything...

If you are confident in your dog chewing up smaller cuts of meat or RMB's, then I wouldn't hesitate to feed them. If not, I would avoid them. If you are not sure about what your dog will do, I would be cautious in feeding smaller things until you do find out what they will do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts