·
Registered
20 Posts
Homemade Grain Free Dog Treats with Liver and Potato:

Ingredients:

* 1 lb. liver
(see tip below)
* 1 egg
* 2 tsp. garlic powder (not garlic salt)
* 1 1/4 cup potato flakes (see tip below)
* beef or chicken broth

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 400° F
2. Cut liver in to 1" pieces. The size does not need to be accurate since you will be pureeing it. However, the smaller size helps aid the process.
3. Place ingredients, liver through potato flakes, into a food processor.
4. Pulse ingredients.
5. Be ready to add the broth as needed to make the mixture spreadable into the pan. The consistency will be very thick.
6. Pour into a greased 13 x 9 pan.
7. Bake for 25 minutes.
8. Let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
9. Use a knife to loosen, then invert pan and empty onto a wire rack.
10. Let it cool completely before cutting.

Storage: Since these dog treats use liver, they will not last as long as other treats. I would recommend no longer than 3 days in a dog treat jar.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
1 chicken breast, raw: cubed.

totally grain-free, species appropriate, nutritionally excellent, and my dogs totally dig it.

I also use fish oil capsules as treats.

L

·
0 Posts
I absolutely love Stella and Chewy's Carnivore Crunches and Carnivore Kisses. These are dehydrated raw nuggets. Grain free and meat-based. Comes in chicken, duck, or beef.

These are high value treats so I use them in obedience class with my Lab.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I absolutely love Stella and Chewy's Carnivore Crunches and Carnivore Kisses. These are dehydrated raw nuggets. Grain free and meat-based. Comes in chicken, duck, or beef.

These are high value treats so I use them in obedience class with my Lab.
Where do you get them at?

L

·
0 Posts
I buy them locally. They are also available for sale online at petfooddirect.com

·
Registered
469 Posts
I was wondering about grain free treats too! :)

Ruckus has started his grain free diet, so we are cutting out the grain free treats too.

I wonder how much a food dehydrator costs? then you could put sweet potatoes, meat, fruit, etc in it for treats!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, here is a recipe I have tried with success...though you might have to add/decrease flour depending on your are humidity

Wheat Free Biscuits
2 cups oatmeal
1 cup gram flour
1/2 egg
1 tablespoon melted butter or margarine
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup pureed chicken / liver

Combine everything...knead till mixed
Roll out ... cut
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place on lightly greased cookie sheets. Bake for 30 minutes. Turn off oven and let biscuits rest till cool in oven with the door closed. I'd suggesting rolling the biscuits quite thin to fasten the cooking time.

Hope this works for you!:smile:

·
Registered
151 Posts
There are some treats that I like to give that you can buy at natural pet stores and feed stores. They are made by Merrick, and are just dehydrated beef lung chunks (you can also get lamb). They are called Beef (or lamb) Training Treats. That is the ONLY ingredient. Very crunchy and tasty....the dogs love them!!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
There are some treats that I like to give that you can buy at natural pet stores and feed stores. They are made by Merrick, and are just dehydrated beef lung chunks (you can also get lamb). They are called Beef (or lamb) Training Treats. That is the ONLY ingredient. Very crunchy and tasty....the dogs love them!!
I second these, Flip loves them.

He also loves these, both the salmon and the lamb variety:

WildsideSalmon Home

·
Banned
493 Posts
Hi, here is a recipe I have tried with success...though you might have to add/decrease flour depending on your are humidity

Wheat Free Biscuits
2 cups oatmeal
1 cup gram flour
1/2 egg
1 tablespoon melted butter or margarine
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup pureed chicken / liver

Combine everything...knead till mixed
Roll out ... cut
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place on lightly greased cookie sheets. Bake for 30 minutes. Turn off oven and let biscuits rest till cool in oven with the door closed. I'd suggesting rolling the biscuits quite thin to fasten the cooking time.

Hope this works for you!:smile:
looks like a cool treat, but isn't oatmeal considered a grain?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts