Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it ok to mix a grain free wet food with a grain inclusive kibble? I kind of remember reading this messed with a dog's digestion, but can't remember where.

To be specific, she likes Wellness/Holistic Select kibble and I just switched her to Fromm wet which is grain free last week.

Stools were a little wet and light in color first few days but look good now.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I am not an expert but I can't imagine that this would be bad unless your dog has a sensitivity to grains. In that case, you would want to strictly feed grain free kibble or raw.

I currently feed my standard poodle a mix of grain free dry kibble and dry kibble with grains. Not sure if the wet food makes a difference, though.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I don't see why there would be any reason not to feed a grain free wet with a grain inclusive kibble. I've done it, I have plenty of customers who do it, never heard of a problem.

You might see a change in stool any time you switch or add another food, but that should go away

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
you will see SOME people say that mixing any foods can disrupt certain balances in the foods. I'm not an expert in the area but try searching from some information on the subject.

Not sure I buy into it completely...but you should know there IS an argument against mixing foods. Listen to it yourself to asses wether you buy it or not. good luck.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Dogs are naturally hunters and scavengers. I don't think they're systems are so delicate that they have to be fed as precisely as I've seen suggested at times. If they can't find animals to hunt they will scavenge for whatever they can get. Even if they've just had meat they will often continue to scavenge, meaning things in their tummy will get mixed. These are dogs, not orchids

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Dogs are naturally hunters and scavengers. I don't think they're systems are so delicate that they have to be fed as precisely as I've seen suggested at times. If they can't find animals to hunt they will scavenge for whatever they can get. Even if they've just had meat they will often continue to scavenge, meaning things in their tummy will get mixed. These are dogs, not orchids
with all due respect, Uber...you're applying YOUR logic to the answer.

I'm not saying you're wrong but I believe there are some valid reasons to be careful on this issue. You'd think Dogs could eat GRAPES by your logic. But they can cause issues.

I'm honestly not saying you're wrong...hell, its very likely you are right.

Let me see if I can go find something on the subject.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
with all due respect, Uber...you're applying YOUR logic to the answer.

I'm not saying you're wrong but I believe there are some valid reasons to be careful on this issue. You'd think Dogs could eat GRAPES by your logic. But they can cause issues.

I'm honestly not saying you're wrong...hell, its very likely you are right.

Let me see if I can go find something on the subject.
Thanks, I would generally agree with Uber in that we are talking about mixing quality dog foods, not stuff off the kitchen counter, but if you do find anything I would appreciate it. I did email Fromm and they said it would not be a problem. It occurred to me that the majority of their kibble is grain inclusive but all their canned is grain free.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Almost all commercial food, kibble or canned, has some sort of filler. "Grain free" is not necessarily "filler free". If it's not grains, it's usually potatoes, peas, soy, or a myriad of other useless stuff. As long as your dog doesn't have a specific allergy or reaction to whatever the grain is, it shouldn't matter if you mix foods with varying fillers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts