Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Heeler/mix dog,Lucy, has gotten rather chunky since starting the raw diet a few months ago. She really needs to loose about 10lbs:eek: I know, I should not have let it get this out of hand, but I did.
All my dogs are around 35-40llbs. so I was giving them about 1lb. of food a day, split into two meals.
My question is, how much can/do I cut her portions so that she isn't starving all the time? Or is she just going to have to be hungry for awhile??? I suppose she's not going to be happy with this, just as humans are when they have to cut back:smile:
Should I cut her to 1/2lb a day??? I've never put a dog on a diet, so just wondering how drastic a change I should make.

Thanks

·
Registered
210 Posts
What meats are you feeding?

For dogs the sizes you are describing, 1 lb is far too much.

Generally, one only should feed 2-3% of body weight to your dogs. 3% is generally for high energy dogs or performance dogs, so stick with the 2%.

Given the weights of the dogs, most should eat about 0.7-0.8 pounds. While that sounds to be about the same as a pound, that is eating 20-30% more than they need to.

Then you say that his ideal body weight is 10 lbs less, so he should only be 25-30 lbs and eating only .5-.6 lbs per day.

If this was my dog, I would reduce his intake by .1 lb per day till at the desirable amount and then leave him there.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
My Heeler/mix dog,Lucy, has gotten rather chunky since starting the raw diet a few months ago. She really needs to loose about 10lbs:eek: I know, I should not have let it get this out of hand, but I did.
All my dogs are around 35-40llbs. so I was giving them about 1lb. of food a day, split into two meals.
My question is, how much can/do I cut her portions so that she isn't starving all the time? Or is she just going to have to be hungry for awhile??? I suppose she's not going to be happy with this, just as humans are when they have to cut back:smile:
Should I cut her to 1/2lb a day??? I've never put a dog on a diet, so just wondering how drastic a change I should make.

Thanks
Ask yourself one question: What is her ideal adult body weight?
I feed my Corgi (who is rather small for a Corgi at 21lbs) only 1/2lb a day, and he is pretty active and maintains beautifully on it.
I feed my Boxer puppy about a 1.5lbs/day with an ideal adult body weight of 65lbs.
I'd go down to 3/4 lb per day and see if the weight starts dropping. If after a while you're not noticing any difference, then drop down to half a pound.
It's trial and error really. Good luck!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I think I did my math wrong for her. If her ideal body wieght is 30lbs. she whould have only been getting .6 lbs/day. Duh:rolleyes: No wonder she's getting fat.
Thanks for bringing my attention to that:smile:

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Thanks. I think I did my math wrong for her. If her ideal body wieght is 30lbs. she whould have only been getting .6 lbs/day. Duh:rolleyes: No wonder she's getting fat.
Thanks for bringing my attention to that:smile:
Glad to see and hear that she is doing well on the diet! Just cut her back some and things will be perfect. You can always post pictures too ;)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will do Natalie. I'm at work right now. Will have to post some pics of the porker tonight:biggrin:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts