Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum, and Rhys has a kidney problem. I need to find a low phosphorus but not low protein food (both dry and wet) for him. We had a vet recommend the k/d prescription diet, but from everything I read, that's not a good choice at all.

L

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. What a beautiful dog you have. I'm quite sure you'll find some answers from the knowledgable folks on this Forum. Wishing you the best with your dog.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Welcome! Just adding my best wishes to the lot, and also complimenting Rhys on what a beautiful boy he is!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks! He's pretty laid back for an Airedale . . . Not many around here either. Our groomer does a female named Sophie and they've managed to be at the groomer at the same time.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Hello and welcome! Very handsome boy you have :wink:

I know a lot of people with dogs that have kidney issues have wonderful luck on a raw diet. Not only does it provide your dog with optimum nutrition but also the added benefits of increased water in the diet (raw meats usually contain ~70%+ water content) and lower protein (~20-25% for most raw meats), both of which are ideal for compromised kidney function. Defintely let us know if this is something you'd be interested in!!!

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Hi and welcome! :biggrin: Nice to have you here.
Gorgeous dog! Growing up our neighboor had an Airedale and she was so sweet!
I hope you can find a diet that works for both you and your dog.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That may be the way to go for sure. I know we don't want to continue with the Hill's K/D that our vet prescribed, and most of the commercial foods are too high in phosphorus. Any good links to a good raw diet?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
That may be the way to go for sure. I know we don't want to continue with the Hill's K/D that our vet prescribed, and most of the commercial foods are too high in phosphorus. Any good links to a good raw diet?
Ask and you shall receive!

Here's the website Jon (jdatwood on here) and I started for the sole purpose to educate people on the why's, how's, benefits, etc of raw feeding. It's based mostly on first and secondhand accounts by members on here as well as other nutrition forums. I suggest you read through all the pages to get started!

How to get started | Prey Model Raw

And don't forget about the fantastic resource you have here in this community. There are many educated, experienced and knowledgeable raw feeders here at your disposal if you were to ever have a question or concern. Feel free to ask any and all questions, seeing as they will be answered!

Raw Feeding - Dog Food Forum

I hope you choose this route for your dog. It really will open a new door for your dog, instead of settling on "keeping your dog comfortable" because there's no way to recover the damage done to his kidneys, but you sure can try your hardest to keep them from getting more damaged!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts