Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today is Busters 2nd bday and I got him a cheap backpack for him thinking he might like it. I was shocked at how much he actually loves it. We went on a two hour long hike today and he carried the water and food for us and you could tell that he felt very important. He really doesnt want me to take it off ever. So now that I know he really loves the backpack thing I want to get him a really nice one that doesnt move around so much and doesnt inhibit his movement. Which brands are good, and what should I look for. Thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also forgot to add that he is a boxer and is very skinny and squirmy so it needs to be able to fit him and move with him instead of whatever this backpack he has now is doing.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I second ruffwear, they are expensive but you cant beat the quality and design, its one of the few bags on the market with anatomically correct design which distributes the weight evenly and doesent apply pressure on spine or throat. I went to google shopping and typed in the name and then searched the lowest priced one, found one that someone was reselling for $37 brand new. I think the original price is $55. You can also check ebay.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I second ruffwear, they are expensive but you cant beat the quality and design, its one of the few bags on the market with anatomically correct design which distributes the weight evenly and doesent apply pressure on spine or throat. I went to google shopping and typed in the name and then searched the lowest priced one, found one that someone was reselling for $37 brand new. I think the original price is $55. You can also check ebay.
Pretty sure you helped us find our first one didn't you? :biggrin:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well thank you guys very much. Everyone confirmed exactly what I was thinking. I had been looking at all the other packs but i really liked how the ruff wear ones work. I also like that you can assist your dog over obstacles and other things with them. I think I will be getting either the approach or the pallisades. I like the single trek too but it doesnt have enough storage. I will probably get the pallisades and give busters to marley and see how marley likes it and if he likes it he will probably get the approach because he isnt quite as capable as buster. Also buster is 55lbs and in great shape sometimes it is a little scary how fit he is. Marley is also very fit but is still young turning one in two weeks. Eventhough he is already bigger than buster at 60 lbs he just doesnt have the drive that buster has and isnt nearly as capable as buster. How much do you guys think I could load on their packs safely? I felt comfortable loading buster up with 8lbs today but it is a really cheap pack with no support at all and I think I could at the very least double that with one of the ruff wear ones. Am I right here? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
I think it would depend on how your dog does with it. Every dog is different, so its hard to tell. I know that I could load Bailey's pack up a lot more than the other dogs just because she is bigger, but I don't know how it would effect her performance and longevity.

Side note: You have to watch out because a dog running up behind you with a pack on doesn't know that they are a foot wider than normal and will take you out LOL!!! :eek:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Side note: You have to watch out because a dog running up behind you with a pack on doesn't know that they are a foot wider than normal and will take you out LOL!!! :eek:
LOL I just learned this one today. Buster managed to take both my gf and I out at the same time. He normally would have fit between us and definately did not with the bag on and we got taken out. After that we kept an eye out for him. lol

·
Registered
105 Posts
Everyone has given you good advice. I too am a huge fan of anything RuffWear. I have the packs and the jackets for my three boxers. My boys are very rough on them, and the products hold up well!

Oh, and I'm not sure what kind of camera's you have, but all of the pics in this thread are amazing! :biggrin:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts