Dog Food Chat banner

Gizzards

24K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  rannmiller 
#1 ·
I can't remember reading anything about chicken gizzards, what nutritional value do they have, and are they a muscle or organ? My dogs absolutely love
them, so I hope they aren't too bad for them.

#3 ·
I can't remember reading anything about chicken gizzards, what nutritional value do they have, and are they a muscle or organ? My dogs absolutely love them, so I hope they aren't too bad for them.
No, they aren't bad and nutritionly they are muscle. However when a newbie is feeding gizzards, I think its pretty safe to assume they are feeding real organs also.

#4 ·
Thats good to know, I bought some a while ago and fed them to Owen without even thinking about them not being good or something. They were on sale at that store and I stocked up on what they had. I also give beef or pork liver when it goes on sale. I hope that this is not bad either! I will usually give him a couple of ox tail a beef or pork liver and an egg for a random meal one evening every to every other week. Is that ok also?? At this point all I have been able to find on sale is pork chops and chicken, with the occasional turkey. I have only had a couple of people clean out their freezer for me and about 1/3 of it was things like potato salad and other things that I wouldn't give him. But I said 'thank you' and through out what wasn't good and I couldn't feed him. Any other suggestions where I could get cheap to free stuff??
I have noticed that if Owen gets to many chicken meals in a row, he starts throwing up. My solution is to feed a couple of meals chicken and then a couple of pork and then back to the chicken. Has anyone else had this problem?? Thanks.

#5 ·
Ya know, I just on my days off go to different grocery stores and look for meat that has been marked down, I've been finding lamb chops for next to nothing w/$2 off sitcker on it. They don't get it that often, but they love it. Of course I buy my chicken wings and chicken necks by the case, so I don't have to look for chicken. We must have a lot of grocery stores where I live, cause I just don't have a problem finding marked down meat, and we don't even have a super walmart. Too bad you don't have a freezer.

#7 ·
He gets chicken quarters and sometimes a breast if it is on sale. Otherwise, just the quarters. Its easier to portion out each meal that way and it is usually on sale. The pork chops that I have been getting don't have the bone in it and it seems to be the wprst part of the pork that the store can get! :) I don't mind though, its for my dog and not me. :) The oxtail is cut, partially because my moms smaller dog will sit beside me while I make Owens meals and I give him 'treats'. He doesn't eat raw unless I give it to him. He now knows that when I bring in all the meat, its time to get spoiled. ;) Owen hasn't had a problem with eating the oxtail yet. (Knock on wood!!!) He seems to know to chew before swallowing. Plus, I only give him the biggest ones just to be sure. I am living in a hotel in East Atlanta area and my mom is keeping Owen for me in Valdosta. (Small town in far south Georgia= very few stores to choose from.) When I get into a house I will be able to get a freezer to put more food in and I will be able to go to more stores to look for more varieties of food! :) I am VERY excited about that! :) For now I am only able to stick with the meat swiching in a week.

#8 ·
Wow! You are in one of the most inconvenient situations to feed raw, let alone keep a dog, and here you are doing a great job of it! You make me smile! :biggrin:

I think the way you're doing things sounds pretty good. Another thing you can look for is turkey necks or drumsticks. I know some stores carry them for around $1.36/lb which isn't terribly cheap but it's about the second cheapest meat I can find so I like to get it for the pups every now and then.

I'm trying out freecycle though, that's a great idea!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.