Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder, what is in a pack of meat labeled 'gizzards'?
I could recognzie hearts and lungs, but what else is in there?

I was giving some to balance out the high bone content of chicken quarters and necks. :)

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Gizzard is a muscular organ that grinds up food for an animal after ingestion. They are very commonly found in birds and fish because they do not chew their food at all. So this organ is used to "chew" the food that they eat.

They are very tough and chewy and some dogs don't like them. But they are not considered organ meat nutritionally. They are just fine to feed.

If a package is labeled "gizzards" it should only contain these organs.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I should learn to read!

I just looked at the package and it reads 'chicken gizzards and hearts'.

The dogs like both of these a lot, so is this a good way to balance meat to bone?

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Its a great way to balance meat to bone. Heart tends to be on the richer side, but if your dogs are doing fine on them and not having bowel issues I see no reason to stop feeding them.

What else are they getting at this point?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am starting to switch it up, last night they got turkey breast (bone in).
This morning Jack got a chicken neck plus gizzards and heart and Flip got a small chicken quarter and chicken liver.

So far so good!

Reactions: jdatwood

·
Registered
97 Posts
I wonder, what is in a pack of meat labeled 'gizzards'?
I could recognzie hearts and lungs, but what else is in there?

I was giving some to balance out the high bone content of chicken quarters and necks. :)
just gizzards. Chocolate isn't picky, but raw gizzard is the one thing he won't touch. :rolleyes:

Ironically though, Our cat enjoys them and will go for them before canned food. and i offer them twice weekly for teeth cleaning as they are a pretty tough and VERY chewy meat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts