Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered 40 pounds of chicken backs to start feeding my 2 dogs, a 45-pound mixed breed and a 15-pound Jack Russell. The chicken backs are supposed to be in tomorrow. Now for the questions:

• I found out that the bigger dog would require about 1 pound and the smaller dog 1/2 pound. Is that per day or per feeding?
  • How do I know how much meat equals 1/2 pound or 1 pound if I don't have a food scale?
  • Does anyone know about how many chicken backs equal 1 pound? (I don't know but I'm assuming they are different sizes but just need an estimate.)
  • If I start with chicken backs, am I feeding morning and evening for the first week or just once a day?
  • Am I supposed to wean the dogs off of the kibble or just go "cold turkey (or chicken :biggrin:)?"
  • How do I prevent the dogs from dragging the raw food all over the house to eat it? Feed them outside?
  • And here's the stupid question - What is a chicken quarter?
I may have more questions once I get started but that's enough for now.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I just ordered 40 pounds of chicken backs to start feeding my 2 dogs, a 45-pound mixed breed and a 15-pound Jack Russell. The chicken backs are supposed to be in tomorrow. Now for the questions:

• I found out that the bigger dog would require about 1 pound and the smaller dog 1/2 pound. Is that per day or per feeding?

• Big dog gets about a pound a day ... little dog, a little less than half a pound.

[*]How do I know how much meat equals 1/2 pound or 1 pound if I don't have a food scale?
    A chicken back is about a half pound on average.

[*]Does anyone know about how many chicken backs equal 1 pound? (I don't know but I'm assuming they are different sizes but just need an estimate.)
    i would give larger ones to big dog and smaller ones to small dog. 2 backs = 1lb

[*]If I start with chicken backs, am I feeding morning and evening for the first week or just once a day?
    Doesn't matter ... i would feed whatever times they are used to.

[*]Am I supposed to wean the dogs off of the kibble or just go "cold turkey (or chicken :biggrin:)?"
    Cold turkey

[*]How do I prevent the dogs from dragging the raw food all over the house to eat it? Feed them outside?
    Babygate the kitchen.

[*]And here's the stupid question - What is a chicken quarter?
A chicken quarter is 1/4th a chicken. :smile: Mostly people that talk about quarters are talking about leg quarters. They are made up of leg, thigh and a small part of the back all in one piece and most times they weigh around a pound. The last batch I got was about half that size though.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for answering my numerous questions!

I ordered the chicken backs and when I opened the box today, there were only necks! :mad: GGGGRRRRRHHHHHHH!!!

I suppose I can't start with chicken necks but have to start with backs? If so, it will probably be another week before I can get started because I have to place another order.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Chicken backs and necks hardly have any meat on them... mostly bone. When I feed backs or necks, I consider those to be bone... roughly 10% of the diet should be bone.

When I first started Maxwell on raw, I fed only muscle meat for a few days, then slowly introduced bone.

Of course there are numerous ways people feed raw... to me, there is no right or wrong way... unless of course your numbers are totally out of whack.

I like to balance things over a week... that is to say that I don't feed bone every day and I don't feed organs every day.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Chicken backs and necks hardly have any meat on them... mostly bone. When I feed backs or necks, I consider those to be bone... roughly 10% of the diet should be bone.
Actually chicken backs are 44% bone, which as you say, is way too much bone for a total diet. However, when switching a dog to raw feeding a diet heavy in bone tends to reduce the chances of digestive upset until the dogs digestive system has adjusted to digesting real food. No one has suggested that a diet of chicken backs is going to be a long term thing. Other things will be slowly added to the diet after a week of nothing but backs.

When I first started Maxwell on raw, I fed only muscle meat for a few days, then slowly introduced bone.
Dogs fed nothing but meat tend to lean toward very soft stools and even diarrhea. Bones in the diet will reduce the chance of that.

I like to balance things over a week... that is to say that I don't feed bone every day and I don't feed organs every day.
You are exactly right. You can even balance over a month if you wish, however nutrition is not our goal when switching a dog over to a raw diet. Our goal is to make things as easy as possible on the dog's digestive system. After a couple of months of slowly adding new protein sources, good nutrition will result. A month or two with less than optimum nutrition is no big deal. Afterall they have had a lifetime of poor nutrition up until this point.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Thanks for answering my numerous questions!

I ordered the chicken backs and when I opened the box today, there were only necks! :mad: GGGGRRRRRHHHHHHH!!!

I suppose I can't start with chicken necks but have to start with backs? If so, it will probably be another week before I can get started because I have to place another order.
I wouldn't feed necks because of their size. Either of your dogs could swallow them whole and that could possible cause some choking problems. You could start with chicken quarters if you need to. I would cut the leg off the quarter and feed the leg part to the small dog and the thigh/back part to the larger dog. I don't have a clue how to tell you to guess at how much to feed each dog by this method.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:eek: Any idea what to do with 40 pounds of chicken necks?!!! I was just assuming I could feed them to the dogs later - not thinking about the size of them. Now I'm in a pickle with all those chicken necks!! How about grinding them up? Would that work? I'm panicking here - watching my hard-earned dollars go down the toilet because of someone's incompetence who gave me necks instead of backs.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Do you have cats? Cats can eat chicken necks just fine.

I'm really not an advocate of grinding but in this case I would grind them rather than feed them whole or throw them away.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
You could also try to contact the company you got them through and try to get your money back.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I want to know why she can't feed her dogs chicken necks after awhile? I feed them to my dogs all the time, especially since the one had such a hard time with turkey necks.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I want to know why she can't feed her dogs chicken necks after awhile? I feed them to my dogs all the time, especially since the one had such a hard time with turkey necks.
Very small toy breed dogs can eat chicken necks without a problem. Dogs the size we are discussing can and sometimes do swallow them whole. Sometimes this results in a choking problem. I have heard of dogs choking on chicken necks although I haven't heard of one actually dying from them. I have really only heard first hand of one raw fed dog dying from choking on anything.

For large dogs like mine they would be no problem because most every bit of food they swallow is much larger than a chicken neck. It's the dogs in between very large and very small that can have the problem.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Just send the necks my way, I have a cat who will happily eat them! :biggrin:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't have cats.

I don't think I can get my money back - I guess it wouldn't hurt to ask, but I've already gone through the tedious task (took me 1-1/2 hours) of separating them into 40 approximately 1-pound packages and have frozen them.

Any advice on what kind of grinder will grind bones?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I don't know anything about grinders or grinder prices but I know they are more than $100 so if you don't have a grinder, it would cost you more than throwing away the necks.

Another idea would be to smash them with a hammer and feediing them like that. Hitting them once or twice should be suficient.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Aha! I was thinking about using a hammer but was afraid to mention it because I thought I might be considered a "redneck" (which I really am but didn't want anyone to know it - oops). :biggrin:

Thanks for the advice! I have a hammer!!

You've made me very happy! (It doesn't take much, does it?) :smile:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts