Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aside from what they look like and how they work, I don't know much about these ...

A friend has an over-exhuberant dog (dangerous pulling-on-the-lead-issues) for whom this type of leader could be an ideal solution, at least in the short term.

For you folks who use these, is one brand a better choice than the other?

·
Registered
417 Posts
My personal favorite is the front buckle harness. China pulls to beat-the-band so to speak. We put a front buckle harness on her and now when she pulls, it brings her back to our direction. She eventually forgets why she's pulling because everytime she does she's lead right back to us. Works great!! It's my favorite.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My personal favorite is the front buckle harness. China pulls to beat-the-band so to speak. We put a front buckle harness on her and now when she pulls, it brings her back to our direction. She eventually forgets why she's pulling because everytime she does she's lead right back to us. Works great!! It's my favorite.

Thanks, Rocky.
I'm not familiar with any of these devices. But when I spoke with her last, she mentioned that she had tried some kind of harness that was specifically designed to prevent pulling (I have no idea what kind it was?!?). It apparently hadn't worked for her and for her dog...

That's when I suggested that the Halti or Gentle Leader might be more effective for her.

·
Registered
417 Posts
A lot of the harnesses that hook on the back of the dog actually encourage pulling. All harnesses can chafe, so I like to attach fleece to mine for comfort. But with a harness, a dog has more opportunity to pull because all their muscles are right there in their chest, where the harness lays. However, with a front buckle harness, when the dog pulls, the leash is actually guiding him/her away from the direction he's pulling.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
So, rockymtsweetie82, did you end up getting the easy walk harness?

·
Registered
417 Posts
The front buckle? Yes. I love it. I tried the head harness and it just didn't work. She tugged and pulled her way out of it and it just didn't work at all. The GL harness isn't one of my favorites because like stated above, I really don't like how it gives her more pull for her muscle. I LOVE the front buckle harness.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I've heard wonderful things about the head collars, but at the same time, when I put one on Penny she had it off of her face in the blink of an eye. I've seen other dogs who can barely walk because they're trying to scratch it off their face with their front paws, most dogs just look miserable in them. I've also seen dogs that look perfectly happy in them once they get used to it, hear they work really well for stopping the pulling, so I'd say try it!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I've contacted the company but, so far, no reply ...

Does anyone know if the Dogmatic head collar is available in North America?
Get the Gentle Leader head collar. It works great. Several years ago, you could get one with a video that came with it. The video is great. Get it if you can. If not, I'm sure they probably have some video on their web page.
I have Great Danes and I have never seen a dog that I can't handle with the GL and one finger.

I have only used the GL front buckle harness one time for just a few minutes. It seemed to work very well, but I don't have enough experience with it to make a good recommendation.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
...... Is that a good thing? Or does that mean you just disregarded everyone's offer to assist you? heh. I don't get it

Hmmm ... tough crowd!?!

My apologies that my last posting was apparently so cryptic.
Please allow me to explain in further detail:

"Thanks all."
This means I'm grateful for everyone's input and am acknowledging their kind assistance.

"I've passed on your info."
This means I've passed on the all the information I received from my inquiry to the person concerned. Now it's up to her to decide what to do with it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hmmm ... tough crowd!?!

My apologies that my last posting was apparently so cryptic.
Please allow me to explain in further detail:

"Thanks all."
This means I'm grateful for everyone's input and am acknowledging their kind assistance.

"I've passed on your info."
This means I've passed on the all the information I received from my inquiry to the person concerned. Now it's up to her to decide what to do with it.
Whoa... bring in some sense of humor, young skywalker :smile:

Passed on the info to another person. OOoooOOOoOoo I get it :biggrin:

Forgive me if I offended you, bud

·
Registered
523 Posts
Thanks from me too! I've heard good things about the head collar but never tried one. I think I will get one cuz I don't like what I've been using one bit. I'm petite and my dog is almost 60 lbs and I have a hard time when she sees squirrels or anything that runs. I try to take her on daily 2 mile walks when the weather is good. Thanks again.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I use the gentle leader head collar. I was really reluctant at first...but it trained my pup to not pull really fast. Of course she hates it, so she'll behave the best she can just to not have to put it in haha.

·
Registered
257 Posts
i had the gentle walker harness for my 10 month old APBT. It could work but it really rubs him raw to where he gets blood so i quit using it and am giving it away to my brother. I have a stillwater leather padded harness on the way. I cant wait for it to get here!!:biggrin::biggrin:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Basically all collars regardless of design do the same thing. The only thing that changes is how they do it.

So the reality is that you can do anything you need with any type. It is only necessary to know how.

Some 50+ years ago my dad started me out training with a plain old flat buckle collar. Since then I think I have tried every easier softer way there is. Now I am right back where I started using a flat buckle collar for most training. Only with the knowledge that I actually can do anything with it that can be done with any other kind.

<~~ even dogs can train dogs, if they know how

·
Registered
241 Posts
Basically all collars regardless of design do the same thing. The only thing that changes is how they do it.

So the reality is that you can do anything you need with any type. It is only necessary to know how.

Some 50+ years ago my dad started me out training with a plain old flat buckle collar. Since then I think I have tried every easier softer way there is. Now I am right back where I started using a flat buckle collar for most training. Only with the knowledge that I actually can do anything with it that can be done with any other kind.

<~~ even dogs can train dogs, if they know how
lol I love the avatar. Very funny :smile:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts