Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently doing research before obtaining my first puppy moving into my new home. I plan on obtaining a newfoundland puppy and want to be as prepared as possible for feeding. I recently found a rescue site called Gentle Giants rescue Gentle Giants Rescue and Adoptions, they are a very large rescue group that works primarily with giant breed dogs. While reading about them I found their very strict feeding requirements for any dog adopted from them. Of course the number one food they suggest is their own brand called Gentle Giants world class canine cuisine LINK. But on every site I have searched I have yet to find any reviews or comments on this food, I was wondering if anyone on this forum had ever heard of or tried this brand and if it is really as good as they try to promote it, it is all natural, with multiple sources of protein but I just have to be skeptical of something I can only find information on through its own website.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Be very careful. Gentle Giants is a very controversial rescue orginazation. There have been many complaints by many people who have adopted from them. Most of the complaints have been concerning the health of the dogs they adopt. I have no idea if these charges have any basis or not. There is a group of people who have been trying to put them out of business for at least 6 or 7 years. So far, obviously they have not been successful. I used to have a link to a web page about this group of people but don't have it any longer.

I do know that their food is pretty much garbage and the requirement to feed it is not for the health of the dogs, rather for the pocketbooks of Gentle Giants.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the quick response, I know health issues with giant breeds are common and with a primarily giant breed rescue there are going to be issues with that and I was not planning on rescuing for my first dog either as it takes experienced ownership to do so. But I do appreciate the concern and plan to investigate quite thoroughly into whoever I obtain my dog from. I expected as much that the suggestion of their food was for their financial benefit. But I wasn't sure if they were providing a quality product or not in doing so. I hope for more responses on this and will check back regularly as I continue to research the best foods for my future dog. Any and all feedback or suggestions on this are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
A buddy of mine was looking for an alternative to Kirkland's brand, as he was not too happy after Sunshine's transition from Science Diet. He mentioned the kibble seemed very oily and maybe that explained her usual runny stools.

I remembered hearing about this brand before and did a search here and found this post. I was curious if anyone could follow up on the following chart that was on their web site... as I've heard here its mediocre at best, yet the chart makes it seem like a good cheaper alternative to many other crappy brands listed.

Is this a decent alternative to Kirkland?

·
Registered
438 Posts
A buddy of mine was looking for an alternative to Kirkland's brand, as he was not too happy after Sunshine's transition from Science Diet. He mentioned the kibble seemed very oily and maybe that explained her usual runny stools.

I remembered hearing about this brand before and did a search here and found this post. I was curious if anyone could follow up on the following chart that was on their web site... as I've heard here its mediocre at best, yet the chart makes it seem like a good cheaper alternative to many other crappy brands listed.

Is this a decent alternative to Kirkland?
that chart is meaningless without seeing how the foods are arranged (order) and some kind of nutrient analysis. that chart just states what is in the food. for all we know, all the grains are right at the top. besides, they picked some of the absolute bottom of the barrel foods to compare themselves to.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I read the website and did see that they insist on giant breed dogs NEVER being fed more than 22% protein and 9% fat. I think most of us would agree that healthy dogs need more protein and fat than that. But, if the food is available in Supermarkets and the prices are good....I'd feed it over Alpo, Ol' Roy and Pedigree.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Their food is not anything I'd ever feed my dogs.
That being said, PLEASE look into this rescue. Growing up in Southern California, and working in the dog industry, I can not tell you the number of horror stories I've heard about Gentile Giants. They're such a scam. And the fact that they seem to ALWAYS have litters of every giant breed.... and they "sell" puppies for "Breeders in Texas" ohhhh no, big red flags there.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I don't think you should base it off of that chart. Lettuce, celery, watercress, beets, etc. aren't something to look for in kibble in my opinion. And there are some who will argue that you don't even need the rest of those fruits, grains, veggies, and so forth :eek:

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I know of another "Big Dog Rescue" that is FAR more reputable than Gentle Giants, it's called Big Dog Huge Paws, they are based in Colorado, and they take excellent care of the puppies/dogs they rescue.

Interesting you can't find the ingredients list on their website but I did find it on Dog Food Analysis (which gave it 3 stars). I would not feed it based on the Beet Pulp, the Menadione, and unnecessary vegetables, and I HATE it when food has unspecified "Natural Flavors" Natural flavors of what?

Ingredients
Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Barley, Oatmeal, Beet Pulp (Sugar Removed), Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Flaxseed Meal, Herring Meal, Natural Flavors, Dried Egg Product, Brewers Yeast, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Dried Kelp, Vegetable Pomace (Carrots, Celery, Beets, Parsley, Lettuce, Watercress, Spinach), Sweet Potatoes, Peas, Cranberries, Blueberries, Apples, Dried Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, Taurine, Yucca Schidigera, Spirulina, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Mixed Tocopherols, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (a source of vitamin C), Chondroitin Sulfate, Beta-carotene, Vitamin E Supplement, (Polysaccharide Complexes of Zinc, Iron, Copper, and Manganese), Niacin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (a source of Vitamin K), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Cobalt Sulfate, Ethylenediamine Dihyriodide, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Rosemary Extract

Guaranteed Nutrient Analysis
Crude Protein 22% (Min.)
Crude Fat 9% (Min.)
Crude Fiber 4% (Max.)
Crude Moisture 10% (Max.)
Calcium 1% (Min.)
Phosphorus .8% (Min.)
Vitamin E 250 IU\kg (Min.)
Vitamin C 60 mg\kg (Min.)*
Omega-6 Fatty Acids 2.5% (Min.)*
Omega-3 Fatty Acids .7% (Min.)*
Glucosamine 375 mg\kg (Min.)*
Chondroitin 50 mg\kg (Min.)*

* Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles.

Nutritional statement:
Gentle Giants Rescue and Adoptions World Class Canine Cuisine Chicken, Rice and Oatmeal is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for all life stages of dogs.

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
I am currently doing research before obtaining my first puppy moving into my new home. I plan on obtaining a newfoundland puppy and want to be as prepared as possible for feeding. I recently found a rescue site called Gentle Giants rescue Gentle Giants Rescue and Adoptions, they are a very large rescue group that works primarily with giant breed dogs. While reading about them I found their very strict feeding requirements for any dog adopted from them. Of course the number one food they suggest is their own brand called Gentle Giants world class canine cuisine LINK. But on every site I have searched I have yet to find any reviews or comments on this food, I was wondering if anyone on this forum had ever heard of or tried this brand and if it is really as good as they try to promote it, it is all natural, with multiple sources of protein but I just have to be skeptical of something I can only find information on through its own website.
i saw a documentery on them they seem like a good rescue. good luck with the rescue/

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
You can't always believe everything you see RCTRIPLEFRESH5, you should know that by now, where have you been?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
As well as the Rocky Mountain Great Dane Rescue (which we volunteer for) :wink:
Yes, they are awesome as well, we work with Jodi here in Utah with both RMGDRI and Big Dogs Huge Paws on ocassion and they are both great rescues, I just put the Big Dogs since they were talking about getting a Newfie.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Wow, this Gentle Giants "rescue" sounds pretty awful!

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Yes, they are awesome as well, we work with Jodi here in Utah with both RMGDRI and Big Dogs Huge Paws on ocassion and they are both great rescues, I just put the Big Dogs since they were talking about getting a Newfie.
I just realized you're in Lehi....
I'm in Orem!

I'm also going to be volunteering with RMGDRI.... already started the process.

heh, small world.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Wow, this Gentle Giants "rescue" sounds pretty awful!
They are absolutely the worst rescue I know of. I'm really not sure how they even get away with calling themselves a "rescue."
Their "adoption fees" can be as high as $900-$1200.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts