Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up my tiny Shorkie (Yorkie/Shih Tzu mix) from my brother in a week and a half!!! I am so nervous because we have never had a dog before. I am a bit compulsive so I want everything to be ready and researched before our little fur-ball gets here.
Ok, so I have reviewed the threads about dry food choices. I am leaning towards Orijen & Wellness. I know that I have to wean him slowly off the food my brother is feeding him. Still a little fuzzy about the amount to feed him.

But my main question is where, when, & why does the canned food come into the picture?

I welcome ANY and ALL advice!

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Canned food generally is regarded as a better option of the 2 because its less processed then kibble, with that said, if you want to feed canned, make sure you either give your dog RMB's (raw meaty bones) to chew on weekly, or have a regular tooth brushing routine because dogs on canned tend to have worse teeth.

If I were you, I'd go with Orijen puppy and mix maybe couple tablespons of canned for some variety, it also helps with new food transitions if you have a picky dog.

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Canned food also provides added moisture to their diet which is a good thing all around, especially for little dogs who don't tend to drink quite as much as larger dogs.

It is also lower in calories when compared to kibble, so the idea that dogs get fat from canned food is bogus.

I second the idea of adding in RMB's every week to keep teeth nice and clean! Small dogs are notorious for having rotten teeth, and spending ~$300-700 on a dental once a year gets pricey. So preventing them from having routine dentals is ideal, and the best way is to give RMB's (but don't give the processed bones you can buy at the pet food stores or even the grocery store. By RMB we mean a RAW bone with meat attached to it).

Good luck and post pictures as soon as you can!

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Canned food is considered to be a more species appropriate option because it is higher in meat content and far less processed than dry kibble is so they are able to get more nutrients from it.
It is pricier, but for such a tiny pup, it would be very affordable to at least use canned food as a topper to a kibble diet.
If you could afford to do an all canned food diet, that would be more ideal than kibble. There are better ways to feed a dog than commercial pet food of any kind, so consider all the options as well.

As many people mentioned, you'll want to include some raw meaty bones for dental care. I just want to point out that this is just as necessary on a kibble diet as well. The myth that dogs need kibble to clean their teeth is so bogus. Eat coco puffs (about the texture of dog food) for two weeks, and don't brush your teeth, and tell me if the kibble-like bits are doing their job. lol

·
Banned
493 Posts
I would defiantly have to agree with everything Linsey said. Wet food is much more species appropriate. Also, it obviously has a lot more moisture/liquid than dry food, which is essential for any dog. Good luck!:smile:

Reactions: Atti'sMommy
1 - 6 of 6 Posts