Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today is day 3 of starting Owen on the raw food (chicken) and he has some horrifying gas to clear out the house!! I just bought chicken quarters for 99 cents a pound. So far he will play with it for about half an hour and then he will 'hide it' in his crate under his blanket before finally 'digging it out' to eat it! :smile: I find him amusing with it! I don't think I have ever known a dog to want to play with their food and then feel the need to hide it for a while before eating it. Has anyone else had their dog do something like that??
Of corse he also found my bottle of adult beverage and decided that he would help himself while I wasn't around. :eek::mad: He is now on 24 hour watch to be sure nothing happens to him!! Good thing it is the weekend! :redface: I don't know what I am going to do with that boy!! :)

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Today is day 3 of starting Owen on the raw food (chicken) and he has some horrifying gas to clear out the house!!
Take the skin off the chicken and see if that doesn't help the gas.

I just bought chicken quarters for 99 cents a pound. So far he will play with it for about half an hour and then he will 'hide it' in his crate under his blanket before finally 'digging it out' to eat it!
When you get tired of the games and want to stop them, ask here again. :smile:

Has anyone else had their dog do something like that??
I have heard of dogs who are fed outside burying their food and going back a day or two later and eating it. I have also heard of dogs burying food under a blanket for verying periods of time.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Take the skin off the chicken and see if that doesn't help the gas.
I will try that. His crate is right next to my bed right now and I wake up sometimes coughing because they are bad. I know that they go through a 'de-tox' stage and I am hoping that this will end soon! :)

When you get tired of the games and want to stop them, ask here again. :smile:
Is there a rason that they do this? In my opinion, he is just doing it because he is a clown, but if it is something that I should not let him do, then I will just take it away until he wants to eat it and not play with it! I don't mind him doing it though, it makes me laugh. He is pretty good at making me laugh. I know that it is part of the breed charicteristic as well as his affection for me. :)

I have heard of dogs who are fed outside burying their food and going back a day or two later and eating it. I have also heard of dogs burying food under a blanket for verying periods of time.
I haven't fed him outside yet because we are staying with friends until I move to Valdosta Georgia the beginning of November, but I don't know that he will do it outside. I hope not!! :)

Thanks!
~Rebecca

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Gas. Fluc

I have Eng. bull terriers and they will sometimes try to bury their food for later, thats just the way they do things! They are also very gassy dogs too.:

Reactions: EnglishBullTerriers

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have Eng. bull terriers and they will sometimes try to bury their food for later, thats just the way they do things! They are also very gassy dogs too.:
Thats good to know, I don't want to have to tell him that he can't be who he is because he doesn't want to eat when I am ready!! :) I watched him eat this morning and it almost seems that he only tries to hide it when he thinks that someone else is going to get it. I will still keep my eye on this behavior to be sure that it doesn't turn into a posessive behavior. Do you have pictures of your bullies?? I love hearing stories and 'tall tails' about other bullies!! :) I only have one picture of my Owen up right now, I will have to try to get some of the others up. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My Newf tends to hide her food. It's not uncommon for her to bury something in the back yard (or the neighbor's) then go back a day or two later and eat it. At my house we joke and say her dinner is in the back yard being seasoned to perfection. She's always preferred her food dug up after being buried for a couple of days. If she doesn't have access to the yard, it's not uncommon for her to bury something in a planter.....occasionally under my pillow......thank you very much.

My Mini Schnauzer doesn't typically hide food but he will now and then.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts