Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you tried rubbing them with garlic? That sometimes works.

If you've already tried this, then I think that RFD has the right of it. :wink:

Richelle
what do u guys think of garlic. risks vs. benefits in small amounts?

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
No risk in small amounts.
Possible flea repellent, though I don't live in a flea-ridden area so I haven't tested the effectiveness of this, but many swear by it, and i would MUCH rather use garlic than a topical poison if I were faced with this situation.
I've used it to get my Corgi to eat liver. I really didn't want to force feed him (no one WANTS to have to) but was prepared to if need be. As a last resort, i used fresh garlic crushed up and shoved in the liver, reducing the amount gradually until he was willing to eat the liver without the garlic. Now he scarfs it and seems to have forgotten that he ever hated the stuff.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I don't really feed it to my dogs, but as CorgiPaws said, I've heard it is a great natural flea repeller and I'm ok with that. I'd be more worried about it in a flea-ridden place, as she said, but we don't really have fleas here so we're safe for now!

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Garlic toxicity is something that would take a TON of garlic to be harmful to a dog, according to size of course as well.

We have used it to coax our dogs to eat organs, it worked on some but not on others.

·
Banned
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
is it true that the toxic components of garlic can add up in the bllod stream overtime even in small amounts? That's what I've heard about onions, not sure about garlic.

·
Registered
184 Posts
is it true that the toxic components of garlic can add up in the bllod stream overtime even in small amounts? That's what I've heard about onions, not sure about garlic.
I don't think so, in small amounts, because my dog would be dead by now.
I know one lady who has been using this method for years and her dogs are just fine. (She has four of them)

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
The toxins in both onions and garlic do not build up in the blood stream over time. They cause damage right away because they work the same way...causing oxidative damage to RBC's, more specifically causing them to hemolyze.

So feeding small amounts that you know your dog can handle is ok, it won't do long time damage. I wouldn't suggest giving dogs huge amounts of garlic by any means.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts