Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting ready to start feeding my boy raw and I am thinking of adding a little garlic, Flaxseeds and Salmon Oil to his feedings. I know garlic in small amounts can be beneficial. But Can I just get the Flaxseeds and not the oil? And Is mixing the three too much or do I need to cut one out?

Also Is there any other supplements that have good benefits?

I was also thinking about Black Seed Oil. I heard there are some good benefits to it as well. And I have considered Pumpkin Seeds. But this just seems like SOO much. I don't want to over do it.

Also what are some foods with natural Vitamin E in it?

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I know this is a bit older thread but you never got an answer. If you are just starting raw you should wait before you start with the supplements. You can use the flax seeds and not the oil but I personally don't think you need both flax and salmon oil.

I myself would use the fish oil which I like to change up from salmon then get a different one with herring and other fish oils. Flax can be an allergen for some dogs, fish oil just makes more sense to me.

If it is a mix of nuts you want take a look at the Barf section there was some old threads on there where some people from somewhere that came on for a while and they had a nut mix that they gave there dogs. They started one nut at a time and I know pumpkin seeds were one of them. I have forgotten but I do think there was also flaxseeds. I fed it for a while but didn't notice any difference in my dogs.

On the vit E thing i can't help you but I bet you can google it.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I know this is a bit older thread but you never got an answer. If you are just starting raw you should wait before you start with the supplements. You can use the flax seeds and not the oil but I personally don't think you need both flax and salmon oil.

I myself would use the fish oil which I like to change up from salmon then get a different one with herring and other fish oils. Flax can be an allergen for some dogs, fish oil just makes more sense to me.

If it is a mix of nuts you want take a look at the Barf section there was some old threads on there where some people from somewhere that came on for a while and they had a nut mix that they gave there dogs. They started one nut at a time and I know pumpkin seeds were one of them. I have forgotten but I do think there was also flaxseeds. I fed it for a while but didn't notice any difference in my dogs.

On the vit E thing i can't help you but I bet you can google it.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
i think if you're going to feed flax seed you should grind it. i think if it's not ground it will pass through your dog.
i grind flax seed in the coffee grinder.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the responses. I haven't started raw yet. And I wasn't going to supplement until he was use to the taw. I have decided chicken pork and sardines will slowly be introduced.

Though I have been looking into the benefits of garlic and thining about adding a little to his diet later. Which is better? Cloves or oil?

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
i think if you're going to feed flax seed you should grind it. i think if it's not ground it will pass through your dog.
i grind flax seed in the coffee grinder.
Yes I think you do too, I ground all the nuts in there then mixed them up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts