Dog Food Chat banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently use cooked gammon and bacon joints for training treats for becka. (much easier to tare up into small junks when in the park). I know they are really salty and I would not think they are suitable to feed as a RMB. But, is the bone in the middle if stripped of meat before cooking going to be any good to feed her?

Also is slat bad for dogs in the same way as humans?

And
Can anyone recommend a canine physiology book (no I am not trying to become a DIY vet:smile:)

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I don't think that any of the items you listed would be good for a dog.

The gammon and bacon joints are probably way too salty, and like with humans, salt isn't good for dogs.

That said, in moderation, I don't think that they're the absolute worst thing to feed. There are better options out there, though. Cut up raw chicken, for instance.

Also, I would NEVER feed a dog a cooked bone of any kind. Cooked bones are the ones that cause problems by splintering.

By the way, where do you live? I had to look up everything you mentioned. And I'm not sure what "slat" is... Google failed me! :eek:

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Slat is just a dyslexic's way of spelling salt.

I live in Scotland so not that exotic

I had planed to cut of the meat before cooking which would just leave a raw bone for her to chew on.

We don't feed much of the gammon but quite frankly she will do almost anything for it so as a training food it is great :) and as such she only gets very small quantities of it.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Scottland is pretty exotic to me. I would LOVE to go there sometime!

Sorry about the "slat". I guess I was thinking along the lines of unknown cured meat, and didn't even think about a possible typo. I was imagining some sort of cured fat-like thing. LOL!

I'm not familiar with the bacon making process, but as long as the bone isn't processed at all, I don't see any harm in feeding it.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is a lovely place to come and see, with some spectacular places and countryside.

Exotic i think is a strange word, I look out the window at the grey day and think, oh good another one. Then think of you guy's in america and canada and go it must be lovely out there.

I suppose anywhere that is not home is exotic :), and likewise I would love to come across the atlantic. (All my attempts so far have failed).

The curing process is simply steeping the meat is salt water until you have a salt content of approximately 7 % in the meat. (It is really not enough as the meat still does not last that long but people complain that salt is bad for them, which is why they always used to boil ham and gammon as it removed the salt before eating!!)

·
Registered
10,780 Posts
i suppose if the curing process doesn't include preservatives, tiny bits might not hurt, although i wouldn't recommend them.

i've read that many dehydrate food for training....which, to me, seems like a pretty good idea...

the notion of giving salted products to a dog, seems to me, to be counterproductive...to what we're trying to attain and maintain.

as to exotic....i thought the british isles were exotic and wonderful....scotland is the one i missed and it's definitely on my list....

we're in the pacific northwest..and......from a person who was born in soviet union and then grew up on the atlantic side of things....the pacific side is exotic...and on the wrong side for me. :)

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I will stick to using them myself, and just have ham and pea soup each time I make her training food up. It is only about once a month she gets it as I try to vary what I use so she does not get bored as well as being something different from her feeds.

I only came across the gammon when I bought some for me and opened the bag and she went wild. The same as she does when the tripe comes out!!!

I applied to study out in canada then to work in various parts of north america none of the jobs came through. I hope to try again when I am in a better position work wise over here.

Until then Scotland will do :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts